Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-cost bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thanos, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm looking at getting a new 4-string to go with my 5. I don't need to spend $1000+ even though I probably could in another month. I'm not a pro who makes his living with his insrument, just a local musician. For that reason I can't justify dropping a big load of cash (even though there's a G&L at one of the music stores here that almost seems to call my name...;) ). Anyway, here's a list of basses that fall into what I want to spend, about $500.

Fender MIM J
    Fender MIM P
    Ibanez SR400
    Ibanez SRX500
    Epiphone Thunderbird
    Yamaha BB604

I've yet to find a Thunderbird or BB604 at a music store to play firsthand. I like the feel of the Ibanez 400, and I still kick myself for selling my Fender MIM P, but what can I say-I needed a new car. :bawl:

The $500 number is a bit of a glass celing, should I find something sweet enough. If anyone could make suggestions that fall into this price range, and give a link to where to find it if it's not on something like AMS or Music 123, I'd be eternally happy.
    :bassist:

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Out of that list I would opt for either the MIM P or MIM J. The Yamaha is also nice. I haven't played an Ibanez or an Epiphone so can't comment on those.

Based on your comments I would say you should a/b the Ibanez and the MIM P and let your ears and hands tell you what you need to know. Once you decide you will have to post pics of course ;)

Dan

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    for 500$ you could probably get a nice MIJ Fender, I feel these have better sound than the MIMs

4. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    Which Fenders are the MIJ ones? I didn't know Fender was still operating in Japan.

5. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I would say if your going to go with a Fender get a MIJ one.

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The new sting signature bass,a nd the 51' reissue P-bass are MIJ, about $500-$600 i think. I've played the sting one ata GC for a while, and i really like it. It sounds great, plays very smooth, and is lightweight.

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Geddy Lee artist, and Miller artist are both MIJ (I mean besides those listed above and various others), you can buy other MIJ basses used at various places online too

10. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    Being the huge Rush fan, if I'd break that $500 celing it would be for Geddy's artist model.

I really need to track down one of those Yamahas before I decide. I want to know firsthand how the neck feels and how the pickups are.