Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Down Sound 2x8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Here we are again.

I had SWR gear back in the day, loved it. So I just snagged an SWR Studio 220 which, while underpowered, has the preamp and will do me fine for the little jazz gigs I play (upright and electric).

My new brilliant idea is to get a custom cab with a 2 space rack for the 220, something with quick response and hi-fi for both axes. That way I don't have to assemble everything on the bandstand.

Low Down Sound is doing a 2x8 with tweeter which sounds like it will fit the bill. Of course, I'm going to wait for the 220 to actually *get here* before I buy anything else...but I just wanted to solicit the opinions of anyone who has checked these out!

I really want something that retains the SWR sound (Goliath Jr.), just in a smaller package. Also, I think I prefer a faster speaker than a 1x12 for my upright, which also speaks really quickly.

Hopefully someone will have some opinions. You guys are always helpful.

Thanks, Will

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I checked out the Low Down Sound 2x8. It thumps like crazy if you need it too. It's not a 4x10 mind you.
    I tried it out with a couple of heads (Eden TT 330 & WT 400) and it sounded nice. A lot bigger sounding than it looks!

As far as upright goes, your on your own there. I think it would perform extreamly well judging by what I've heard with electric running thru it. But I don't play upright, so my judgment would fail here.

They do offer it with a built in rack space (or 2) as well.

Does it sound like a Goliath Jr? Not really. Different animal all together.
    Does it sound good? Yeah, it does. It does retain some of that SWR punch, but it really puts out a good deal of bottom out of a really small package.

Give them a ring, great guys, and if they don't treat you nice tell them Mike Fredericks is gonna kick their ASS!!!!

(No I don't work there and am not affiliated with them at all, just a good shop with great guys and nice gear)

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mike-

What was the tonal character of the cab like? Would you say it was kind of scooped, mid-humped, flat, etc.? Did it get those zing-y highs like an SWR cab, or did it have more of a blunted top end like an Ampeg or Eden (less blunted of course.) Did you pick it up? How was it weight wise?

I talked to Don and he seemed really nice and knowledgable. I'm really interested in doing, but the biatch of living in WV is that you don't get to try out anything.

It may be for me!

Will

4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I don't recall exact tonal qualities, but I do remember it sounded big and full for a small package.
    Tell ya what. I'll swing in there tomorrow (I could walk there in 5 min-real bad location for me- high end bass only store walking distance from my house!!) and give it another go for ya and report back tomorrow.
    For reference I'll take my Sadowsky 5 and use a Eden WT-500 & Acoustic Image Clarus SL.
    They have an upright there I believe (even though my upright playing sucks) and if it has a pick-up on it, I'll plug that up as well.
    I know the owner (Don, who you spoke to) real well, and I'll tell him what I'm doing. Maybe it will help you one way or another.
    Plus, any excuse to go in there is a good one!!! :D

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mike...

Thanks! Now that's what I call effective use of Talkbass to research gear!

Will

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh, man, it's a good thing that I don't live in your neighborhood! I only drove up to Low Down Sound once (it's about an hour and a half drive) and walked out with an Epi T-112 and T-110UL. If I lived that close to them, my basement music room would be even more cramped than it is!

And to be somewhat on topic, while I did not hear their 2x8, I did get to check out two of their 1x12's and their 1x15. Each cab sounded great, but had it's own unique sound. I think that Don worries more about meeting a customer's needs, sonically, rather than making cabs with a "house sound." He showed me his shop and some cabs in progress, and let me tell you the man knows his way around a woodshop and is using some very high quality construction techniques. I can't see you going wrong with one of their cabs. And if you get it and you don't like it, drop me a line! :D

Tom.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Which drivers are they using? Custom made or "of the shelf" Eminence´s? Are there any more info about their cabs somewhere?

8. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Not anymore info about their cabs anyplace. But I do know that they are offering their own custom drivers or Eminence.

I'm waiting for their custom co-ax 8" speakers to test on a gig or two. If it's like other co-ax speakers (Bag End etc..) it should sould sound pretty nice. The long throw 8" that they use is really nice as well. In fact the 3x8 sounds pretty tough.

Don is very good at trying to meet his customers requests, but at the very least, you'll get what you ask for!

I think he's on to something with the 8" speakers.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What does he have in the 3x8? I would think that two long-throws and a coax would sound pretty darn good. His coax 1x12" is a great sounding cab.

Tom.

10. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Just got back from LDS.
    They don't have any 2x8's in stock right now. Sorry! :(
    As for the 3x8. Not sure what he has in there, I believe they are standard 8's with a tweeter, not long throws.

I was talking to Don today about them, they have some pretty cool stuff on the drawing boards right now, don't ask, I can't tell ;) But some cool ideas I must say.

He should have another 2x8 ready sometime soon though.

Check them out:
    www.lowdownsound.com

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks anyway for going! Really appreciate it. (I know, it's a rough job but somebody has to go to high end bass stores and check stuff out...)

It sounds like a good cab. BTW, are they still only 4 ohm or can he do them in 8 ohm now? Guess I should ask him!

Will

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    How did the cab strike you for slapping? Did it have a good high end response? Was it too boomy or anything?

Don't say you didn't do any, because you were sitting in a music store trying out amps! :)

I think I'm about to order one, just waiting for my head to come in.

Will

13. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Wha??!??!!?? I didn't do nuttin'............I just sat there and minded my own.....aww hell, who am I kidding! :D

Wasn't too boomy , played thru the 2x8 with the Eden Time Traveler 330 head when Low Down had it. It gave up some rich bottom end. In fact on BassGear.com a guy bought two of the LDS 2x8 cabs and said two was a bit too much for him. I believe he was selling one. Just turn down the bass control if it's too much ;) . Boomy, I didn't think so at all. Pretty smooth on the highs as well.

Again, it was a while back when I played through it so I don't remember every detail, but I do remember it sounded good.

I don't know what other cabs your using, but a 2x8 with a two space rack built in would be pretty sweet.
    Don is at the shop today (Sat 4-24) until 6 I believe.
    I wish he had another in for me to play through so I could give you more details.
    Anyway, give him a call and tell him I told you he better give you a killer deal ;)
    See, now you have me thinking of getting one.

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks again Mike. Should have my head this week, so I can take some measurements and get an order in.

Will

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What does that 3x8 sound like? It looks quite intriguing...

Tom.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I was thinking the same thing this morning. Tom, why don't you drive over and check it out! (If it's there!) I even like the blue surround.

Will

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Kids. They bring me more joy than I could have every hoped for, but they do cut into the opportunity for Daddy to play with bass gear... ;)

Still, I just may be able to get up there fairly soon...

Tom.

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Raise chickens, you can kill them and eat them!

No, but seriously, you haven't traded them for speaker cabs yet? :confused:

Will

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Don's a really nice guy and obviously really into speaker design. After shooting the shiznatch with him, it's hard not to place an order!

Thus, I placed mine for a 2x8...should be done within the next week or two, depending on a few orders in front of me. It's pretty strange to have options when you're ordering a cab (carpet color, tweeter, etc.) and I kept it pretty standard.

I will definitely keep y'all posted on progress. I'm psyched!

Will

20. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    If any of you fellas swing on up to Low Down, shoot me a line and I'll try and meet ya there.

Will,PM.

I was in there yesterday, finally sold my Curbow Retro to pay for my new Sadowsky Metro. Man, I could spend a LOT of cash in that place.
    They have a killer Smith 6 string in there. I don't play 6, but if this Sadowsky Metro isn't sweet (yeah, right!) that Smith 6 is mine.
    They also just got in another MTD 535 that is real cool.
    And this Zon that they have, and the Smith Fusion 5, and the Elrick and the Warrior and the Laklands and the Epifani and the Bergintino and the Ashdown and the AI Clarus SL and the .................................................................................................................STOP THE MADDNESS!!!!!!! :D

By the way, they do have a nice collection of DVD's for sale too!