1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Down Sound Cab Club started!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agfrag, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agfrag

agfrag Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    I think it's time to start a club for the terrific custom cabinets that Low Down Sound's Don Oatman produces. It would be great to post pics of all the different cabs that folks have oredered over the years, and relate impressions, experiences, and what-not about these great Low Down Sound cabs. I'll grab #1, NewGuy would be #2...any other takers?

Attached Files:

2. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Sure, why not. :)

I have LDS 210 & 115 neo cabs. Lightweight, small and great to gig with!

3. 112 Ultra-Light B&C coax for me.... about 27 pounds or so, and about as small as you can make a two-way 112 (coax and rear ported). Very nice sounding cab, and the spray on coating and tilt back stand are GREAT.

stand1.gif

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    LDS: rules!

I have a 2x12+2x6; 4x8+2" compression driver, and 2x8+5" mid driver...those two make a kick butt lil mini-stack that really puts out...

2x12:
    lds_1.jpg
    lds_3.jpg

2x8+5
    tfbmini.jpg

I'll try to take some better snaps of the 2x8...and post something of the 4x8 later...
    I'm taking the "6x8 stack" out to work tonight...

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well, Where do I sign up? My UL 210 and UL 212 with B & C drivers are great and were almost half the cost of the Epiphani's at the time. I do miss the Sadowsky NYC that is in the picture though.

Bassrig.jpg

6. NewGuy

NewGuy

Jun 4, 2006
    Sweet! I just updated my signature. I think I'm heading down to LDS today to see if Don has any more cabs in stock.

7. agfrag

agfrag Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    Looks like Shelly #3, KJung #4, Chef #5, Burk 48237 #6.

Good start, great cab pics!

LDS rules!

8. larryl

larryl

Feb 1, 2005
    North Jersey
    Don built me a neo 310 with B and C drivers that I love. It has the spray coating. Use for most gigs with my Aggie AG500- sweet !

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

Neo 3-way 3x8 (plus mid and tweet) that I bought from Bowlus a while back. It's sweet! I wouldn't use it for heavy music, but for jazz and anything that calls for articulate voicing and sweet tone, this cab couldn't be better IMO!

I do intend to have Don make me another cab at some point, although TBH I got very frustrated with him when I wanted a custom subwoofer cab- he just didn't get it, and no matter how I tried to explain my needs/wishes to him in different ways, he just kept trying to sell me one cab that did not meet those needs. I would tell him "no that's not it, I need it to be different in this way and that way", and he'd say "yeah this cab is great, everyone likes it, I'll build one for you" :eyebrow: I gave up after a while, and I've had some discussion with other cab builders here where they said "Yeah Don does great work in general but he doesn't understand subwoofer physics at all".

Again though I will be calling him for other speaker needs, because I really do like the one I've got.

10. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    LDS 610 owner here. Neo speakers, tilt back, line-x, 75lbs

[​IMG]

Sounds great played with the Traynor and even better with the SVT

[​IMG]

11. agfrag

agfrag Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    If I'm not mistaken, larryl #7, bongomania #8, jpark #9 (75lbs for a 610? wow)

12. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Mmmmm...

Cold Land Shark...

Got another one?

13. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    I'll post a pic later (new computer) but I have a 1x12" high-x w/5" cab that makes my Markbass mini CMD121P into a monster rig!

Johno!

14. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV

Neo speakers and birch plywood. I can carry it with one hand by the side mounted handles.

They go pretty fast, haha.

15. Don has quote me on a 810 Neo that he specs at 80 lbs.

That's amazing.

TD

16. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That one's great! What's the impedence?

KO

17. 8ohms. Not much reason to get a 4ohm 112 IMO... most heads at 8ohms put out plenty of power to drive a small, single speaker cab to 'full volume'.

It's a great sounding little box, and the B&C tweeter is beautiful sounding.

I had this one tuned a touch low, so it's not as loud as some other 112's (i.e., the lower tuning results in a lower SPL, at least as typically measured at 1K). I did this since this is more of a 'practice/rehearsal' cab for me, so I wanted 'big cab tone' in a little box, knowing I wouldn't need massive punch or volume.

The good news with Don's cabs is you can specify the tuning and 'general tone profile', since they are 100% custom. The bad news is, it can be a bit hit and miss. I've played some of Don's cabs that were among the best cabs I've heard (Shelly's, Burk's, etc.) and others that somewhat 'miss the mark'.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I don't see the tweet; is it under the nameplate?

19. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Coax. No tweet.

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    ahhhh; noted, thx

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.