Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Down Sound cab combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ericman197, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm using a Mesa Strategy 400 ( which is soon to be retubed with 4 JJ ECC83's, 8 6L6GC's, and 4 KT88's as per Bob@Eurotube's recommendation ) so I'm limited to about 400 in the wattage department. I need two very efficient cabs that are deep and warm sounding... hi-fi is no longer important. I'd like to keep the cabs small, compact, and light... but that's not a necessity. However, I would prefer small and heavy over large and light. What I was thinking of doing was getting some sort of combination of 4x8" and/or 4x10" cabs. Which would be the best for a very warm, deep, and tubey sound? Remember, high output is VERY important:

2 4x10"s
    2 4x8"s

or

1 4x10 and 1 4x8"

Each with a tweeter for the highs of course... I'm not going to bother with the midrange driver. I'd rather go with something that'd look nice stacked, but tone is my #1 priority.

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Small, efficient and warm with good bottom end? Kinda sounds to me like you're describing an Aguilar GS112.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Well, small isn't a big requirement. That route may work, but I would probably need at least 2 to get up to loud levels, which is why I was thinking of going for 2 4x10s and/or 4x8s.

Edit: My size limit is 4x10 or smaller and the weight limit is say... 80lbs or less preferably.

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I'd strongly urge you to check out the Aggie GS212 then. They weigh in at around 70lbs and are incredibly efficient, (SPL of 103db's), and are something like 24 x 22 x 17. From what you describe, it sounds like that's exactly what you're looking for.

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Hmmm... My only concern is the price. They seem to be a bit more expensive than the LDS cabs would be. However, since I can find them used, maybe they'd be within reach. Would 2 of the 2x12"s be loud enough? I need something super efficient but warm and deep. I play a 5 so it needs to be able to handle a B.

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Ya, they're a bit on the pricey side but, if you're looking for warm and deep, that's the one. And they're pretty darn efficient, (again, SPL of 103). A single 212 is more likely than not going to be as loud as most 410's but they'd be plenty lould enough for just about any situation. And, with 2 of them, look out!

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Hmmm... and what about the 4x10? It's a bit on the heavy side, but from the stats, it looks to be a bit deeper and louder.

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Never played through an Aggie 10". Used to own a GS112 and I loved it.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    By the way... have you ever played the Bergantino NV line? My wallet and my back so no, but my heart says yes... an NV215 + NV610 combination tempts me. I need a reason not to consider this.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Having heard the Low Down Sound cabs, I would recommend two 4x8's using the long throw drivers. These cabs sound just fantastic. Their 4x10's are also quite nice, but I felt that the 8" equipped cabs had just as much low end and booty, but were a tad quicker and more articulate. Their 3x8 really blew me away, but for what you are describing, two of their 4x8's would most definitely put a smile on your face. And IMHO, two of their 4x8's would blow away two 1x12's. Their 3x8 made an Eden 112XLT sound incredibly small in comparison, and moved more air (and went perhaps even deeper) than an Epifani T-112. The 4x8's have even more going on, to boot. If you are really leaning towards the GS112, but don't like the price, LDS also makes a VERY GS112-like 1x12. But again, I think their 4x8's are more of what you are going after.