Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOW DOWN SOUND CABS...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Feb 2, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    So I finally nade the trip up to Low Down Sound to try out some Accugrooves. All they had was the mini Whappo, and truthfully, wasn't all that impressed. Maybe high expectations after the reviews here. But I was impressed with their cabinets. Somebody there was playing through a 2x8 and it sounded really good. I questioned the salesmen about their stuff, and he took me back and let me play through a 2x15/2x6 rig that was already sold. I'm thinking that rig with a BBE Max and Stewart 2.1 would be close to perfect. Anybody here use their stuff? Reliability? General consensus?

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike Harrington who plays with Earl Klugh and Joe Sample has used their 4 X 10 neo, and told me if he could afford another cab, he'd "purchase in a second". Mikebass has used the 3 X 8 on several gigs and loves it. I know a few other TB'ers have them. I just ordered a 2 X 10 neo but it's probably a week or two away. I'm deffinently going to review and post when it arrives.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have played through numerous of their cabs, and I have been honestly very impressed. I do not own any as of yet, though I have my eyes on a 3x8 with one coax mid/tweet. I checked out Don's shop, as well as a cab in progress, and I can tell you his construction is top notch.

4. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I was hoping you'd pipe in Tom! I always read your replies with great interest sine you seem to spend A LOT of time comparing different cabs! I thought for sure I'd be blown away by Accugroove, but maybe it was the amp. He hooked up an Eden....wt250? I know it was the smaller Eden head. I saw a 3x8 in the back shop. 2x8 facing forward and 1x8 rear facing. I didnt' get a chance to hear that one though.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The best part about LDS is that they are open to anything.

Did you get to lift that 215? It weighs nothing for what it is.

I am sold on their cabs (well, except for Schroeder...
    ).

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Too much, I'm sure... :p

Maybe it was the WT330? At any rate, what didn't you like about the Mini? Accugroove cabs in general always sound a little flat to me in the highs, initially, but when you add just a hint of EQ, they get nice and airy without any harshness. Also, the Mini Whappo is not nearly as thick sounding as its replacement, the Tri 210L, or most other Accugroove cabs for that matter. However, it was the first cab that I had ever heard that was so uncolored and really let the individual character of the instruments shine through. Keep in mind, this was in my pre-EA days. ;) Did they sell their Tri 208?

Oh, I would definitely like to hear that cab. Pretty much all of Don's long-throw 8" equipped cabs are jaw-droppingly good. My personal conundrum is coming up with what would be the best configuration for me.

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Can't put my finger in what I didn't like. Probably my own laziness! I just got done playing a 6x10 Bergie, and then went right to the mini. Not to mention it was a Bergie with a Sadowsky, and then the mini with mm Jazz. I didn't fool with the amp at all, that was probably the problem. I emailed Don and told him what I've used previously, and he said he'll write back with some recomendations.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, that would explain it...

9. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    If you want to try out the 3x8 with the 8" coax, I've got one. I plan on keeping it for the top of my rig, but I would have no problem bringing it to the shop and leaving it for you to try out. Just PM me and let me know when you'll be back up here.

Ralf

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sweet! How do you like it? Would it function well as a standalone cab? What do you have underneath it?

Tom.

11. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Have two 2x8 LDS's, both with the Eminence long throw woofers, one with a tweeter and one without. Tremendous amount of low end vs size and weight. Although they're extremely light, about 64 total pounds between the two of em, and are "built like a tank" according to the local tech who installed a higher powered, more efficient tweeter for me, I've had a little "problem" with the tweeter cab's lightbulb fuse blowing out. I've now blown 2 12 volt and 1 24 volt lightbulb also am powering the two 350 watt cabinets with a 1200 watt head at 2 ohms. Maybe the woofers can handle it well which they do, but maybe the fuse isn't meant for such abuse....

They sound tremendous...nice low end and highs, slightly scooped mids that you can boost if ya want to, but I feel the cabs are much more percussive and punchy than the Aguilar GS 112's I've heard and owned. I tried out using the 208 with the tweeter along with my EACXL112 that I got in a trade last year. This combo was literally perfect but the 208's can take so much more bottom as a pair than the 112 it's scary. I was farting out the EA slightly, but man did this combination COOK!!! I was using a Mike Lull P5 with an added J humbucker I picked up on Ebay...totally passive bass. It was unbelievably nasty sounding. Another bassist and his band played about 10 tunes during my band's breaks so I finally got to hear my equipment. It blended really nice from about 1/2 way back to the back wall of the club, but in the front 1/2 of the room, it just really pushed the crap outta the rest of the band...not too loud,just a ballsy, clean, driving, punchy heavy tone that I don't get from either cabinet quite that way by themselves. If LDS's neo 410 has as strong a low end as the 208's and the mids are a bit stronger than the 208's mids naturally, I'm definitely gonna get in line for one as soon as some extra moolah comes my way.

LarryK

12. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I love it! As far as working stand alone, that depends on your venue. If you're doing a small jazz gig or rehearsing at reasonable volumes, then sure. I'm playing with a rock band that is fairly loud. I haven't rehearsed with it yet (we're recording), but based on my experience with the 2x8, it will need something underneath it. Right now I have a cab with a Delta 12LF and the same coax 8 in it as my bottom, but I'll probably build a 2x10 log throw as my bottom. Like I said, if you want to check it out I can leave it at the store. The only 2 gigs I have this month are providing amps and I don't need it for rehearsals.

Ralf

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I don't know when I might make it up there, so don't leave it just yet. But, if you don't mind, I may get back to you when I am able to head up that way.

Thanks for the response. I am really looking forward to hearing that cab!

Tom.

14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    is your 3x8 with long throws? How much does it weigh?

Lkaye

15. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    The 3x8 has 2 of the long throw 8's and one 8 with a coaxially mounted horn. The coax is in it's own sealed subenclosure and crosses over at 300-500 hz (I don't remember the exact frequency). So actually it's a 3way 2x8. I never weighed it, but it is definitely a managable cabinet. I built a 4x8 with the same 8" coax and it was too heavy for me (sounded awesome though). I can easily carry the 3x8 to and from my car without a visit to the chiropractor the next day.

Ralf

16. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    what ohmage is the 3x8 also...sorry about all the questions.

I would imagine that the cabinet is much more "even" sounding than my 2 2x8's together, but that my mini stack has more bottom with 4 long throws.

The reason I'm even inquiring is because I wonder whether instead of getting a 2x10 under the 3x8. that an adding a 2x8 with the long throws only, and no tweeter would be a more than adequate choice costing less and lighter. It would add just enough bottom to not drasitically change your tone and make it slightly louder and thicken it a little?

What did the 3x8 cost you by the way?

Just a thought depending on the ohmage and wattage you're pushing too I guess.

LK

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My thoughts exactly! That, or two identical 3x8's, to give two mids and two tweets along with four long throw 8's.

18. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    The cabinet is 8 ohms. "Even" sounding is a very good description, although I would call it flat. It does not have the same slightly scooped characteristic of the 2x8.

If I didn't put the 2x10 under it, I would be more inclined to build an 8ohm 4x8 cabinet with just a horn for the bottom. It was the 8" coax that tipped the scale weightwise on the other 4x8 I built. You would have to ask Don what he would charge to build the 3x8.

Ralf

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I wonder what a cab with two long throw 8's, two 6" mids and a tweeter would sound like? I do know one way to find out!

20. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Do LDS sell just there drivers so I could build my own cab?
    Shipping over the pond is a bitch for cabs. :scowl: