1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Down Sound custom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Mar 9, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Has anyone ordered a bass cab from this place? I talked to their builder, Don, yesterday on the phone. He was nothing but friendly and knowledgeable, and answered all of my questions.

So, I wanted to know who out there has purchased one of Don's (the builder) cabs.

I'm deciding between weight and tone. I'd love to get both, of course, as I travel up and down four flights of stairs to and from my apartment.

The two cabs I'm thinking of are a Low Down custom and Carvin's BRX Neo 2x10. Carvin stunned me, because I've NEVER heard of a 2x10 that can go all the way down to 28hz, and be really light. Basson goes that low, as does Acme, but their stuff is a bit weighty for my home.

Well, what should I do?

Thanks.

2. There are MANY threads on Don's cabs if you do a post. They are high quality and great sounding, as long as you don't spec something too strange. I have a small 112 coax neo that sounds great and is very well made.

Regarding a 210 going down to 28hz... even if that was true (which it probably isn't), be careful what you ask for. A small cab tuned very low many times equals very low volume and a lack of punch. Also, if you get drivers capable of going that low, you almost always need a three way design (like the Acme's) in order to 'replace' the lack of upper mid response in those hi xmax drivers. This can work well, but many of us hear those little 6" mid drivers giving up the ghost at loud volumes versus having the upper mid response comming from more typical full range 10's in a cab tuned a touch higher. IME there... depends on the tone you are going for and the volume at which you play, and the amount of watts you are planning on pumping into the cab.

The typical 45 or 50 hz rolloff in most 210's is, to me, the perfect compromise of sensitivity, usable low end with enough punch to do a gig given a small cabinet size. Two of Don's 210 designs that meet this criterion or TBer Shelly's and TBer Burk's IMO.... tight, punchy, articulate... plenty of low end, but no mush, and plenty of grind and sizzle up top.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Not to knock the Carvin cab which is using a variant on the same neo driver almost every other bass cab manufacturer uses, but forget the specs - especially frequency response at the low end - from just about any bass cab manufacturer. They won't be useful for comparing to anyone else's. Most of them are not referenced to any testing standards. Useless useless useless.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You mean 5" drivers. The Acme uses thos, I believe. As you get into 6" drivers there are at least a couple candidates (though not the Eminence ones) that are total shockers that'll leave the upper mids from most 10's sounding anemic.

5. Yes, I own an LDS Beyma loaded cab built to my specs by Don 2 years ago. I originally had him use Eminence drivers and have since upgraded it with Beyma's. I have nothing but good to say about Don and his quality of craftsmanship. I had the spray on finish applied instead of carpet. It's a lil more expensive, but IMHO totally worth it. Also, the blue background is somewhat of his signature. It looks great on my cab. I actually had a 6" go out and he sent me a new one at no charge (since it was something he keeps in stock)about two weeks ago even though the cab is two years old. The great thing about Don is that he will build you virtually any kind of cab you can think up. I've talked with Ryan several times and he is always great to deal with as well. Great service, great cabs IMHO!

6. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I just got a sealed tweeterless 6x10 from Don last week... and it's a great cab. At first I had issues because I was running a really dark bass (JS-2) into a generally dark head (Ashdown ABM 500), and I wasn't cranking the treble up high enough to get a clear sound... a few enlightened TB'ers clued me in to crank the highs on my amp and it made a world of difference, now I've got a fantastic sounding, beautiful old-school looking cab built to my specs. Really the only issue now is that Fedex damaged the cab (all cosmetics except for the caster they crushed), but that's not Don's fault as it was packed up beautifully.

A few things to note... be as specific as you like with Don. He'll build it exactly the way you want it down to which kind of handles you want and where you want them. However... in general I would take his word for what will work best. If you specify something bizarre he'll build it the way you want it... even if it's something that won't sound good. he got creative with my sealed cab design and built two separate sections... one 4x10 compartment on the bottom with one kind of driver, and a separate 2x10 up top with higher-wattage, brighter drivers which gives the cab a really nice full-range tone despite having no tweeter (within the limits of reason, this is a sealed cab after all: it still sounds vintage).

Another thing: he'll quote you a time and do a good job of coming close to that self-imposed deadline, but i would expect to wait a little longer than that. I was told there was a 3 week wait before my cab could begin construction, and that it would take 1-2 weeks to be built, plus 3 or 4 days for shipping. All in all it took a full 2 months, but that still seems within reason to me. His prices are incredibly reasonable: to get tolex and grillcloth instead of rat fur the upcharge is only 5%. for my cab that was like, $26. And it looks incredible. The spray coating (basically like a truck bed liner) is a 15% upcharge, but I don't really need it. So long as you don't mind waiting -- and don't mind taking a loss if you decide to flip the cab at some point -- you probably can't do much better than LDS for custom work, especially not when you consider the price. And they're very friendly guys... they've calmly put up with my thousands of questions and phone calls without a word of complaint. I recommend them, absolutely.

7. ZenMoto

ZenMoto

Feb 9, 2006
    Motor City USA
    Good Shop...Good People...I love my 4x10 neo cab.

8. ishouldbeking, if you don't mind me asking. How much does your 6x10 weigh?

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    In a separate thread, Ishouldbeking weighed his 610 out at 115 lbs. Standard ferrite magnet drivers (non-neo). The only thing that I've seen that beats it out weight wise is the Berg NV610, which is about 100 lbs.

Dr. Bass is coming out with a 610-cab that will have a neo option. My feeling is with companies like Dr. Bass, Carvin, Avatar, and LDS around; who has the money to pay for a brand-new Schroeder 610? Schroeder cabs are overpriced IMHO.

10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Yep, i'd say mine is about 115, but it's not an exact figure. When i first got it I feebly attempted to get it perched on my tiny bathroom scale, but i quickly learned there's no way to get it to balance on there while still being able to read the numbers. Fedex listed the shipping weight for the whole package as 120 lbs, so 115 seems to be the closest estimate. Don originally estimated it was gonna weigh in around 95, but i think that was wishful thinking more than anything else, and i didn't really expect anything under 110. Something to keep in mind is that Don builds these things to be durable as hell... (as noted in my other thread about Fedex inflicted damage) I had to take off one of the casters, and with the housing out of the cab, I could see just how thick the weight-bearing joints are. Looks practically indestructible. Something to keep in mind. And neo is an option, though there'd likely be an upcharge.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yep, Just don't try to reinvent the wheel. Like any creative person, Don tries to push the boundaries. And sometimes he'll do something that is a little TOO experimental. OTOH, if you start out with a proven design and dimensions and ask Don to build it for you, Don will nail it for less dollars and as good of workmanship. My goal was to get a 210 XLT (eden) but in an ultra light. I choose good components, B & C drivers, Selenium tweeter and I got as good of a 210 as ANY I have played for a great price. Don is actually going to take my 210 to the Summer NAMM show and keep it as a standard design.

12. That's a pretty good weight.

I'm really up in the air about my next cab. I know I need something new. The 410hlf that I'm using is a combination of short and heavy, and I'm already feeling the effects of it on my back (having to bend down to push is the issue). So I either need something taller, or something substantially lighter. And that 610 design sounds really cool.

Basically, I'm between:
    Having Don do a 610 with Neos (preferably as ishouldbeking's is set up, with two internal boxes)
    Having Don design a 412 with Neos
    Getting a Schroeder 412 Neo

I'm not all that sure on Don's prices, but I am pretty sure that what I get would be less than the Schroeder 412 ($1,300). Actually, if someone here with a full sized LDS cab would post or PM the final cost of their box, that would be great.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don is awesome. Tell him what you need, he'll give you some ideas of what will work.

I have:
    2x8+5; 2x12+2x6; and 4x8+2" compression driver.
    I had a 5x8; it moved on just cause I flip a lot of gear, but not because it wasn't a great cab.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My 210UL was in the low fives two years ago. It weighed in at 42 lbs. Don could get it lighter now, he has a source for better lightweight ply. He could probably do it for darn close to the same price, because the Beyma drivers ( a step up from the old Eminences) are still less then the B & C's. My cab really blows me away when I pair it with a high power amp. We ran KJungs old Heart Rock into with G's Skjold Sixer with a low A tuner in a large room and turned heads at a GTG. That 210 took everything that sixer through at it and stayed sweet sounding. Shelly's 210 box (with the eminences) is sweet too and probably lighter.

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Not sure if i posted it in this thread already, but the total cost before shipping of mine was $606 which breaks down as follows: $550 for the tweeterless 6x10 (would have been 50 more w/ a tweeter), $30 for skid rails, and $26 for tolex and grill cloth. Fedex shipping on mine was $90, but after this last fiasco where fedex punched some holes in my cab I think Don is switching to a freight company, which will probably be a bit more expensive.

16. That's about as reasonable as any I've ever heard. Wow. I wasn't expecting anything that low.

I'm going to scrape up some cash and see about selling the 410hlf and send Don a few emails to talk design/price. I'm pretty excited now. :bassist:

17. highly recommend. And he will experiment. I had people recommend against my particular configuration (1-12, 1-8, 1-5.25, 3-way crossover, neo), but I'm very happy with it. Only thing is it's a little light in the booty, but I'm going to remedy that by ordering a 15 in a couple of months. Get the duratex finish! Best around. Tell him your goals and tell him your open to his suggestions. You may end up not getting a 2x10, but something that will allow you to achieve your tonal goals more easily.