Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low down sound Detroit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottlefight, Jun 5, 2003.

1. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    Has anyone from detroit been to this shop? HOw are the Cabs they make? Im just curious. Is the shop worth an Hour drive?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I drove an hour and a half to check them out, and it was worth every gallon of gas! Ryan, Don, and Rob are all really great guys. They kept the store open well after the closing hours for me to check out all their cabs. I was in the hunt for a really portable Mini Rig that could crank out a lot of volume for the size/weight, and I ended up with an Epifani T-112 and Epifani T-110UL. It was a very close call between these cabs and the Accugroove Mini Whappo, but ultimately the flexibility of two cabs (and the feather-weight of the T-110UL) won me over.

I did get to play through two of their custom 1x12's (one was coax, and one had a separate tweeter), and they were very impressive. A fellow TalkBass'er from Cleveland bought the 12+tweeter a couple of weeks later and loved it. They also had a custom 1x15 that just blew me away. If I was looking for a larger speaker, I would have definitely considered it. Don took me back to his workshop and showed me some works in progress. He definitely knows what he is doing, and the quality of materials and workmanship is on a par with any of the big boys. I'd say his construction technique is most like Epifani, but his choice of drivers/tweeters/crossovers varies with the individual customer's desires or Don's fancy. He built a 4x8 that supposedly rocked pretty hard and sold within an hour. He also did a SWR Triad-like cab for another guy.

Their selection of cabs is very impressive. Eden, Ampeg, SWR, Bag End, Epifani, Bergantino, Accugroove, all in stock! Their basses are to die for also. I would very highly recommend Low Down Sound. My only concern about going there is that I will have to take out a second mortgage to afford all the gear I want!

Definitely make the trip. Those guys are top notch, even if they are from that "state up north".;)

Tom.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Right there it tells me a lot about these guys! If your willing to carry some of the best brands in the business, and make your own speakers to compare too......must be nice work.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point! And yes, they do build a nice cab for a very reasonable price.

Tom.

6. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    I think i will make the trip. Did anyone see the 15" with a 4x8 in one cab. I really would like to hear that one.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I didn't think that one was there when I went up a month and a half ago. Their cabs tend to sell pretty quickly, with many not lasting more than a day on the floor. But they are also cranking out new cabs and are very open to building custom cabs to fit your designs or desires.

Give them a call or e-mail to see what they have in stock. And while you are there, you have to check out the Accugroove stuff! It blew me away.

Tom.