Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Down Sound (LDS) 2x12? Anyone play one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Mar 4, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am super interested in the 2x12 setup for my next cabinet. I now haul around a Mesa Boogie 6x10 and it is a killer sound, but heavier than I want to use for a gigging cabinet. I have been drooling over the LDS 2x12 that they have in their custom cabinet webpage. The one that is covered in orange tolex to look like an Orange cabinet! Super cool! Let me know if any of you have any dealings with the LDS 2x12 and maybe how it compares to an Aguilar 2x12 or the SWR Bigfoot (2x12 discontinued). Thanks! :help:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was just up there last night, and they did not have a 2x12 in stock. I did play through a 3-way 1x10, a neo 2x8, a 3x8, and a neo 2x15 from LDS and a 2x8 and 3x8 (w/ coax driver) from Patterson (the boxes are made by Don - and Ralf Patterson does Don's crossovers). These were all very impressive, and awesome cabs for the price! If the Patterson 2x8's (they had two) hadn't been sold, I would have probably walked out of there with them.

Definitely give Don a call. He is more than happy to make a cab to your specific request. In fact, he said that the custom cabs are what he enjoys the most.

Tom.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How much were the 2x8 and 3x8?
    Any idea how much they weighed and the ohmage?

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Patterson 3x8 was $325, and I have to say, that is a screaming deal! It is a great sounding cab, and believe it or not, it did a pretty fair job of getting in the same ballpark, tonally and range-wise, as my VL-208 that I brought along for comparison's sake! They didn't have a firm price on the Patterson 2x8's (which I slightly preferred to Ralf's 3x8, I think because of the Selenium tweeter), but Ryan thought that they were something under $250. Again, a pair of them would be able to handle about any gig, and for $500, you'd have a very killer sounding rig!

The LDS Neo 2x8 was $299, I believe, and it was super light. Tonally, it had more going on in the upper midrange, and less going on in the lows compared to the Patterson 2x8's. It sounded killer with the 3-way 1x10.

As for ohm ratings, I think that they can make them in a variety of configurations, as Don now has access to 8 and 16 ohm 8" drivers (maybe even a 4 ohm, too).

Tom.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the reply Tom.

I have two bag end s-d15s and I am looking to swap out one 15 to get more highs. I am not a huge fan of tweeters, so I thought some eights would be a good compromise.

If you were me which would you get: an LDS neo 2x8, LDS 3x8, or a Patterson 2x8 or 3x8?

Any thoughts on which would match best with the bag end. Keeping in mind the BE is super quick 15.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Tom-

I'm down for something else from LDS, tell me more about the three-way 1x10? I'd like a really light compact cab that would be good with upright (I mean, the HT112 is good at that but new flavor is always cool!). Do you think anything was balanced and smooth enough for upright? Can you estimate weight on the Neo 2x8? What's the best candidate?

W

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    These are all fairly quick cabs, too, so they should all match with the Bag End. While I did not try it, myself, LDS had several Bag End cabs laying around, and they may be able to help you make that determination. Personally, I would think that the Patterson 3x8 or 2x8 would be the way to go. It would depend which size would fit the best with your BE, and what ohm rating would work best with your amp. The two Patterson 2x8's were sold, but Don can make more just like them (and keep in mind, and "Patterson" configuration can be made as a "LDS" cab, and vice versa). He could also make you a cab that would fit the dimensions of your BE.

Now, keep in mind, you'd be tempted to use either of the Patterson cabs as a standalone cab, because they are very much full-range cabs. If all you want is more high end and upper midrange articulation, then maybe a neo 2x8 would do the trick. But, I prefered the overall sound of the non-neo 8's.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The neo 2x8 weighed approximately nothing! :p I really can't estimate, but I'd say about the same as an Epifani T-110UL, which I think is 23 lbs. I did prefer the sound of the newer non-neo 8's, though. Don has had Eminence make changes to the voice coil and the cone - which looks to be completely different - on the long-throw 8's, and the result is more upper midrange with no loss in low end at all. They sound just the same, and take the same power, but just have more upper mids (which is a good thing). He can also get them in 16 ohm, now.

I don't think that either the neo 2x8 or the 3-way 1x10, on their own, would be the best for upright. The neo 2x8 needs a bit more low end, and again, I just like the non-neo's a bit better (and they aren't that heavy). The 1x10 had amazing low end for its size, and very good high end response (including upper mids), but I think that with its slight hole in the mids (maybe even lower mids), and its deep response, I think that it might tend to make an upright sound a bit electric.

For a single cab for upright, I would get either of the Patterson-style cabs (2x8 with Selenium horn, or 3x8 with coax). Two of these style 2x8's would be awesome. I also think that either two 3-way 1x8's, or one 3-way 1x8 with the 1x10 "sub" would be fantastic for upright.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 I just ordered a new cab from Don. He is very knowledgeable and can really help. I finally decided on a 1x12 with a 1x6 instead of a tweeter. And his prices are very good!

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm sure the Patterson rig would be kicking. It's tough when I'm so happy with the setup I've got right now! The HT tweeter has got me spoiled and it's hard to imagine life without it. How does the selenium compare?

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Be sure to let us know how that sounds!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The tweeter in the HT112 is, indeed, one of the best. I find it to add more in what I would call the highest of the midrange, as opposed to the sparkly highs. The Selenium tweeter is more "traditional", but it's quite clear without being harsh, and it doesn't hiss at all. All in all, the Bergies are going to have a nicer tweeter. They are just top notch (and rather pricey). The Selenium, though, is probably one of the best in its price range.

Are trying to add anything to the HT112, or are you thinking about an alternate cab(s)?

13. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Tom,

did you by chance A/B the 8" cabs to any Epi cabs while you visited LDS?

I had planned a trip there myself about a month ago to check out the Epi 310T and listen to the LDS/Patterson cabs as well.

Still hope to get there sometime soon....

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Tom-

I was just thinking of having an alternative setup, but the Focus/HT112 is so clear and natural sounding for upright that I doubt I could pull the trigger.

15. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i'm the guy buying the patterson 2x8's :) ...i'm headed down there now to pick them up to try out on a gig tonight, if everything goes well i'm definitely getting them - they sound AMAZING. and at that price it's just a crazy good deal. the setup should be really versatile, there's enough low end on those cabs to just have to bring one for rehearsals or jazz gigs, and then for a larger show i can bring both...

also let me add that ralf patterson is a great guy to deal with, very knowledgable and he is really a nice guy.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, I did. I initially set the Epi T-310 up against the HT310 that I was there to pick up. The two have a lot of similarities, as you might guess, but FWIW, the Bergie just sounds bigger (it is bigger, too), and has more mids. The lows and highs were fairly similar on both.

With regard to the LDS cabs, none of the 2x8's or 3x8's sounded anywhere near as big or moved as much air as the two 3x10's, but again, they were all much smaller. The sound of the 8" equipped cabs was really different, and hard to compare to the 3x10's. Unfortunately, Don didn't have any 2x10's, 3x10's, 4x10's or 6x10's for me to listen to, but the one 3-way 1x10 has some tonal similarities to the Epi T-310, though the 3-way had more upper mids.

Does that help any?

Tom.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Gotcha. If you just wanted a fun alternative, then a 3-way 1x8 and a 1x10 sub might be a neat combo.

Of course, you've got a pretty killer little setup as it is... :D

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice! Those two cabs really, really sounded great! I am amazed at how full they sounded, but with really good mid and high balance, too! I didn't get to hear both of them together (my WWU will only handle a 4 ohm load), but I can imagine that two would sound killer!

19. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you dont mind me prying a little further, could you elaborate on the differences? I've never heard a true bass cab loaded with 8's ... and have succumb to mild gas no thanks to your continuous praise of LDS gear! :)

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, in short, they sound like a really good bass cab! They don't have quite the punch that 10's do, but they present a very balanced, uniform tonal front. It's not pant-flapping, but you certainly hear your bass really well. In the best designs, 8" equipped cabs sound more like a quality studio monitor or home audio speaker, to me.