1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Low Down Sound (LDS) 2x12 Neo Cab w/Issues

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by The Diaper Geni, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    The good:
    --Great cab. Built like a tank. Custom made by Don at Low Down Sound. His cabs are second to none.
    --There are no problems with the cab or the electronics in the cab.
    --It's his Ultralite line and is built from lightweight materials.
    --Cab is in excellent condition. Usual corner scratches and a little carpet wear.
    --22.5' W x 24.5' H x 18.5' D
    --With B&C neo speakers the cab is 62.6 lbs.

The issues:
    --These B&C drivers. In the past I have purchased this particular driver as a replacement for an Epifani S1 1x12. Had the exact same problem (in the Epi) as in this LDS cab. The drivers "buzz". There's no other word for it. It's not a loud buzz, and it took me a few gigs to really hear it. Sort of a mild/very slight distortion. It is hard to hear the buzz, but it's there. And believe me: It's the speakers. I've been over this cab with a fine tooth comb.

I was going to keep the cab and just put some replacement drivers in it, but some pretty serious back problems this past winter make this cab un-schlepable.

So, how to price this? Not sure. I bought the cab for $400 shipped this past winter. But considering the drivers buzz, how about $180 plus shipping? (With or without the drivers. Your choice.) Add a few inches to each dimension of the cab and a few pounds to the weight to calculate from 43065. I'll pay for the carrier to pack it.

Attached Files:

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Something in your description made me think of a thread I read recently about a bad run of speakers with whisker wires between terminal and cone that were just a bit too long resulting in some rugging on the cone.

Could this be the problem?

=wr=

3. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks! But I don't think that's the problem. I pulled the speakers out of the cab and played through them in my quest to isolate the buzz. I didn't notice any long(er than normal) wires. And definitely didn't see any wires hitting the cone.

4. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    BUMP!

To be clear, as my original post is somewhat confusing (Sorry!): This sale is for an unloaded LDS Ulralite cab. The origianl B&C drivers are no good.

I'll drop the price to $180 plus shipping. Thanks!

5. How much would it be to replace these drivers? I'm very interested in replacing the speakers to make it an 8 ohm cab.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

bigblonde, it may be difficult making an 8-ohm cab with two drivers. Most drivers are 8 ohms, which only gets you 4 or 16. There are very few 4- or 16-ohm drivers, which is what you'd need to end up with an 8-ohm cab.

And you would need drivers that are matched to the design of the cab. Anything else is a crapshoot.

7. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Actually, it is an 8 ohm cab at the moment. As far as cost, just depends on what drivers you want in the cab.

8. How is it an 8 ohm cab if both of those speakers are 8 ohms? You seem to more knowledgeable about speakers than me, do you know of any 16 ohm 12" speakers?

9. Rick Auricchio

The standard B&C 12HPL76 driver is 8 ohms. LDS probably special-ordered them in 4 or 16 if they buy enough of them.

Looking at the Eminence site, the only driver suitable for bass is the Delta-12B, which is available off the shelf in 16 ohms. Its specs are completely different from the B&C Neo speakers that were in the cab, so the Delta-12B isn't going to match the cab.

Stuffing a pair of those in the cab would be a crapshoot.

And I don't mean to rain on Diaper Geni's parade, but facts are facts. Reloading an existing cab is a difficult job, often requiring some redesign to the cabinet.

10. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Buying any speaker cab (sight unseen), loaded or unloaded, off the web is somewhat of a crapshoot, no?

And while I know nothing about the science and art behind the designs of high quality speaker cabs (or low quality, for that matter), in my experience in being a gear slut, re-loading this cab with some different 12's will make the cab sound different than it did with the B&C's. It's not like the cab won't work or function with different speakers. Heck, the cab may even sound better with different speakers to some folks!!

And I possibly (OK: probably! It's still early and pre-coffee.) am being a little defensive, but I go out of my way to accurately describe anyting I put up for sale here on TB. And stand behind what I sell. Like I stated before, the only reason I am not keeping and re-loading this cab is a ruptured disc in my lower back.

This cab will be cleaned, vacuumed and professionally packed by the buyer's choice of carrier.

11. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Nov 1, 2001
    Maryville, Tennessee
    In Diaper Genie's defense, I've loaded two of those 16 ohm Eminence Delta 12Bs into my Ampeg Pro Series 2x12 cab, and it sounded BETTER than the stock speakers.

Granted, tone is subjective, but I'm one of those guys who buys cabs with blown speakers b/c one can usually get them for a great deal.
    I can't count how many times I've swapped out speakers in cabs, and I've NEVER been unhappy with the sonic results.

12. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks snailplow!

In Rick A's defense, I'm sure that the cab was speced for a certain "sound" with the B&C drivers. So that particular tone that the cab had is not likely to be had with another speaker.

But I maintain that the cab would still sound great with different drivers in it. Different. Not better or worse. Just different. Make sense?

13. Rick Auricchio

Yeah, I shouldn't really run a "speaker replacement" thread here, but I agree in principle.

Different drivers will work, but perhaps not to the level the originals did. The big issue is trying to find a match of speaker to cab. It's much more trouble to do this than starting with drivers and designing a cab around them. Mismatched drivers may suffer from loudness, tone, frequency response, and power-handling issues; all of these factors are heavily influenced by the cab design.

And, Geni, you're certainly providing full disclosure, which is commendable.

14. Or, you could e-mail Don at LDS and ask what he thinks. Good guy and knows the cabinet! info@lowdownsound.com

15. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio

True dat!! Just get the serial # off the photo in the first post.

16. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    just run 2 4ohm drivers in series to make it 8 ohms

17. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    BUMP!

Seems that I'll have to pack myself as both UPS and FedEx won't pack anything that big. But it will be packed well.

18. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Free bump for a great cab!

19. I really want this! You still have the original speakers, right? If you include them I could just come pick it up. For loud club gigs a little buzzing isn't going to hurt anything anyway... I'm cash short right now. Any interest in any trades?

20. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    PMed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.