Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOW DOWN SOUND VS. AVATAR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I am looking for a basic 2x10 to use mainly as a practice cab with my amp, but i will also be combining it with my amp and 1x15 on occasion for shows.

i am mainly concerned with price and sound quality.

I just got off the phone with Don at Low Down Sound. He was very friendly and helpful. He said he could build me a standard 2x10 for $299. This cab would be 450 watts with a 100 watt tweater. 8 ohms. 2 week lead time. 1 year warrenty on the parts and 5 years on the speakers. from what he told me they are very serious about quality.

now i am local to low down sound so this is the final price....there will be no frieght.

I am also looking at the standard avatar 2x10 which is $260 (including frieght). this cab is 700 watts and 8 ohms.

so which one?

how do these cabs compare (yes i have done a search)?

i want a smooth warm tone (not into harsh high end).

:help:

2. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    oh and the only bad thing i've heard about the avatars on here are the tweeters are harsh.

3. 2slick4u

2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    You can adjust tweeter volume on the back of the cab, but yes, if you have it up all the way they can be extremely harsh if you hit the right notes.

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    The fosters on my SWR cabs can be harsh as well. I usually keep them completely turned off at gigs where I run more volume. Question though, didn't I read somewhere else here on TB that even though they are turned down the power is still sent over to them so that this may cause them to overheat and get damaged. Don't know if this applies to all tweets but if damage can occur, it should be a consideration if you will be dialing off the tweets on any cabs. I have not experienced this and I hope I don't.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thanks for the input. i will probably have the tweeter almost off, so i'm not too concerened with that either. just how the standard avatar stacks up against the standard LDS.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd go with Low Down.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    why?

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    come on people i'm making a purchase in two days :hyper: :bassist:

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Can't speak for the LD's, but I've had GREAT success with Avatar. I've bought the following from Dave (@ Avatar):

B410 (4x10 Eminence Deltas)
    B210 (2x10 Eminence Deltas)
    B115 (1x15 Eminence Kappa)
    CB112 (1x12 compact cab with Eminence Kappa)
    SB112 (1x12 large cab with Eminence Delta Low Frequency)

All except for the 1x15 have horns. I keep all of the cabs horns at about 2 on a scale of 1 - 10 on the dial (sometimes even 1). I think the horn is too harsh for my tastes, but some do like it up more. I like a more mello and warm sound. You really can't beat Avatar for the price (I've owned lots of other brand cabs too). His construction is top notch (voidless baltic birch, interlocking dado joints), etc. I was a bit concerned when I saw no bracing in his cabs, but once you get them you find that these things are built like tanks! I've yet to hear of a cab coming apart. Well, that's about it... :D

10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I too can't say a single bad thing about the Avatar, especially since I hate all tweeters and keep them off. It's a great product at an outstanding price backed by a hell of a guy. You can't go wrong here though, I'm sure the LDS are solid but I'd buy Avatar without thinking twice.

11. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm biased, but I would still go with the LDS ;), especially if you don't like harsh tweeters. The Avatar uses a Foster tweeter which can be harsh to begin with and it is only filtered with a 6db/octave filter. This means that more lower treble and upper midrange is getting to the tweeter. I'm not saying that's bad. They are a lot of slappers around that can't get enough treble who probably love it. Don's cabinets use a Selenium tweeter which is very smooth. The crossover is an 18db/octave filter computer optimized for that tweeter. I know, I designed it. The result is a very smooth extended top end. If the LDS cab is rated at 450 watts it is probably using the Eminence Beta 10's or his long throw 10's, either of which will give you a nice warm bottom end (I'd go with the long throws). Hope this helps.

Ralf

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

thanks for the info. well i have to wait more than two days :mad: my tax return is not coming as soon as i hoped. but i am getting more money than i planned on. :)

so if a standard LDS 2x10 cab is $299. what could i get for 50-100 bucks more? what kinda features or upgrades could i add?

13. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    You would have to talk to Don. There are a lot of options. If you know what you want and how you are going to use it, it can be built for you. For $50-100 I would think you may be able to get into a neo cab, but don't quote me on that.

Ralf

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think that Avatars' horn harshyness may not be directly related to the horn's volume but due to insufficient filtering of low "non-tweeter" frequencies (or maybe the low-cut point is not at a high enough frequency). Maybe altering the passive x-over could solve that.

ANDRUCA

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you've read all the threads on Low Down Sound, then you already have my take on Don's cabs. I still haven't heard anything from Avatar, so I really cannot help with the head to head comparison. But, now that you are talking about spending a bit more for "upgrades", let me just reinforce what Ralf said about talking to Don. He is super nice to work with, and he knows his stuff. I have seen his shop and how he builds his cabs, and trust me, he knows what he is doing. If you tell him what your primary goals might be (e.g., higher power handling, lower frequency extension, lighter weight, more high end, whatever), he will try to get you as close to your goal as possible within your budget.

16. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah this is probably the way i will end up going. plus i like the fact it's local so if something goes wrong i can just drive the cab there and say "fix it".

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    True! Of course, IMHO, any excuse for a trip down to a candy store like Low Down Sound is a good one! :D