Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Down Sound...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Apr 28, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I want to get a 4x10 Neo, then later a 2X15+2X6. What does everyone think of this combo?

2. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I just got the 2x15 + 2x6. Believe me, unless you're playing stadiums, that's all you'll need! I just have a cheap 1200 watt power amp right now. I had my preamp about 1/4 way up, and the Earth was moving!

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    And What about a custom looking EL whappo By LDS??? coz I like the speaker config but I reaallyy dig the fliptop look from ampeg....
    Neo vintage as I say, love that

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own the 2X10 now and it moves more air then my 4x10 Eden, the two cabs your talking about would play Stadiums with the right power.! Will Pope gave up 2 4x10 Xlts Eden and he's running one of Dons 2x15/2x6 Neo's, they only way around 65 lbs. Dons working on a new 2X15/2x6 with a tweeter! That sounds like the ticket too me.

5. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Do you guys know how much a custom 2x12 or 4x10 cab would run from Don? I emailed him once and received no reply, and since I'm not really quite ready to make a purchase, I didn't want to pester him. I too would want cabinet that looks like an old school ampeg with blue diamond vinyl.
    Thanks

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My guess is between 350 and 450 for the 2X12, it really depends on the componants. My 2x10 was 549, but that was a neo, high power rated. I'm surprised he didn't get back to you he's usually pretty quick about that stuff

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Don seems very dedicated, I once emailed him and received a response within an hour...

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I played thru a 4x10 neo that Don built.
    Killer cab. Trust me, you won't need to add a 2x15/2x6 to it. <rubbing chin> Hmmm, that would be sweet as hell though!

I played the 2x15/2x6 neo LDS cab on a gig and it and it was loud as hell. I'm not a big fan of 15's, but it still sounded great.

Back to the 4x10. Depending on your crossover and tweeter that you get from Don (he will work with you on this-try that with other cab builders) I would say that, if you wanted, he can replicate any other cab on the market. But his stock crossover and Selinum tweeter sound nice already.
    The Selinum horn pretty smooth without being harsh or "detached" sounding, but I assume this has to do more with his crossover than anything else.
    I know he just lowered the crossover point to capture more mids with the horn.
    Mini review:
    I used his 310 with my Epifani 310UL on a gig to get a real world test of it for him.
    BTW-same horn/crossover as the 410 your thinking about. Standard (non-neo) speakers.
    It for the most part sounded exactly like the Epifani except the horn had more midrange. I could get into a bunch of particulars, but the bottom line is it stood up to the Epifani with zero issues.
    If your playing funk, R&B,gosple then the Epifani may be more you vibe. It has a super smooth high end and well defined bottom with clearly detailed mids.
    If your more into say, rock, blues or country then the LDS may be in line.
    It has the same bottom end clarity and the highs are still smooth, but it speaks more in the midrange than the Epi did. I feel this is due in part again to the crossover and horn.
    With the horn turned off on both cabs, on stage with the band (cover top40/rock) they sounded close, REAL close. But the real difference is where horns kicked in. And I assume also the difference in neo vs. standard speakers.
    I would say the LDS cab (the 310 anyway) bridges the gap between Eden and Epifani (IMO- the two standards: working mans and boutique if you will) quite nicely.
    The 410 neo I feel is closer to the boutique end tho.
    Also, after a bunch of research, I found the neo speakers that Epifani was using in their cabs. It may have been no secret, but no one knew who made them and those that did, were not talking.
    Don's cabs now offer either the same neos as Epifani (but I sure Epifani has the speaker spec'd for them a bit) as well as Eminance neos.
    There was also talk of that company spec'ing speakers (neo and standard) in 8's, 10's and 12's for LDS. I haven't heard the latest scoop on this yet.
    BTW, Don's (LDS) 2x8 cab is incredible. He ruined the 2x8 cab segment of the market. And he's working on a neo version of it.
    Hope this helps a bit. Don and the boys are great to work with. I highly reccomend trying one of their cabs out.
    Tell them Mike said to hook you up or I'll kick their ass!!! :D

9. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Excellent review Mike! I'm toying with going to neo speakers. The idea of carrying a pair of 35-40lb cabinets really appeals to me. A note about the crossovers: I can provide Don with a 3500hz crossover for the Selenium horn. If I remember correctly that's what he was using originally, but I suggested lowering the crossover point for use with the long throws (they don't have as much midrange response as "standard" drivers).

Ralf

10. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
  11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I wonder how 2 Neo 4x8 cabs stacked on top of each other would sound? It would be a mini fridge, that would be very versatile (having two seperate cabs), very transportable (smaller than a 4x10 each), and very light (the fact that they are 8" speakers and Neo)...hmmmm.....time to email..

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Don is the man! I called once over there for something and we ended up talking on the phone for aboput 45 minutes about anything and everything bass! I was LDS one day when fellow TB'er Tom Bowlus was there playing his hot rodded Dearmond Pilot throught the 2x15. HOLY LORD....moved air like you wouldn't believe. I mean I've heard cabs vibrate rooms before but this was just ridiculous. Anyways...I want one...or two...or one with a 6x 10 sitting next to it. Maybe next tax season!

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, there, Rumzini! That was a fun time up at LDS, and yes, that 2x15 made me feel like Thor! I was pushing the cab with my Walter Woods Ultra, and I swear you could feel the air in the entire room compress when I thumped on the low B! :D

14. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Hey guys, there may be a mini un-offical GTG next Wed. in Detroit @ Low Down.
    I'll let ya know.
    One day I'll get off my ass and get a real GTG for Detroit going!!

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah sweet! If the wife is working, Meme and Papa can watch the kids and I'm there! Whad'ya'say Tom?!

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What time are we talking? And this is Wednesday the 11th, right?

Tom.

17. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    GTG?

18. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    I'm assuming it stands for "Get ToGether"

If you guys go down, I would love for you to bring back this thread or start a new one with your overall impressions and some results if you do any A/B'em

19. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I'm thinking 4ish until???
    LDS is open until 8 that night, so I think for a mid week little GTG it should be cool eh?!?!
    Plus there are some cool bars and a micro brew a 1/4 mile away from there in downtown Ferndale (Woodward Ave & 9 Mile Rd.) so a few drinks after LDS closes may be in order!! :D
    Burk is in on this as well, so some of you guys may be getting a PM from him also.
    I'm gonna throw a post up about it on the boards as well.
    Nothing big, just an informal little hang.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Damn, I am all about micro breweries, but it turns out that I am in charge of a highway cleanup for our local Kiwanis club that night, so I will not be able to make it. :bawl: