1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

low E flub.....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 4stringwannabe, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 4stringwannabe

4stringwannabe

Jun 3, 2012
    I'm new to the 4 string bass..been playing guitar for 25+ years. I'm practicing the bass with my fingers and am wondering what the best way to eliminate that low E slop when on the lower frets of the low E string..this is not a set up issue as there is plenty of clearance beneath the string..any suggestions for a new player how to tame this? thanks....

2. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Can you define slop? I don't get it.

3. PuffusMaximus

PuffusMaximus

May 31, 2011
    Might it be the tendency of the E string to continue vibrating a little bit after letting go with the left hand?

4. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    it takes time ...you'll learn to play the low E a little more gently and grab your notes very close to the fret ....you get less slop on the low E if you pluck at the bridge pup ...but this isn't always the tone you want ...

also, all basses are different - i can pound on my warwick pretty good and the low E doesn't clank and flubber ....my jazz, i have to be quite careful.

be warned - bass can be very addictive when you start to see improvement - two years later i'm still trying to convince myself to give my guitars a fairer chunk of my practice time!

5. 4stringwannabe

4stringwannabe

Jun 3, 2012
    not quite as tight as the other strings..i play a jazz bass...i think it's more of a technique thing than a EQ setting...

6. Warmuth

Warmuth

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm new to the bass as well and I had the same problem. I solved it by getting another bass. I have an SR405 Ibanez that's nice and tight, balanced string to string etc..and the low E is great. Based on the experience with it I got an SR400 for my 4 string and it was horrid, even with new strings and set up from a very reputable tech. The low E was sloppy playing and weak sounding. I ditched the SR400 for a 1400 and couldn't be happier although I have played other SR400's that were great, some instruments just don't have "it".