1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

low e problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by netrocyn, Aug 17, 2012.

1. netrocyn

netrocyn

Aug 17, 2012
    Hi all,

I've been playing guitar for 10 years and decided to give bass a try. I decided to go a squier VM jaguar. This bass gets great reviews but I'm having a problem with the low e. It has no tone compared to the other strings, its thuddy and boomy and its really noticeable when moving between the strings.

Its still at stock setup, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Sounds like you need a new set of strings.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Yep. That should be your first step.

4. netrocyn

netrocyn

Aug 17, 2012
    Cheers for the quick replies guys. The strings are brand new though, I've had the bass one day.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    The strings that come on basses fit into the following groups:

1. Crap
    2. Abused in the store
    3. Crap
    4. Crap

And, if they are not crap, they most likely are REALLY crap. I have never left the original strings on any new bass for more than 5 minutes after I got the bass home. Trust us, you need new strings...

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Yep, the stock strings are always crap except in the case of higher end basses or acoustic ibanez basses (they come with elixirs fitted).

As a rule, I change strings soon as I get a new instrument home. If the bass still sounds like crap, put the original ones back on and return the instrument.