Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-E Sucks!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sound is bleh. Hey, is there any reason why my tone ain't all that great. I have a Fender Mexican Precision that I recently installed EMG's into. It replaced a Seymour Duncan Hot pickup which wasn't all that great and I'm glad I got rid of it so why is my tone still not good? Oh and it must be meantioned that the A,D,and G strings sound awesome, but the E seems to be the only one that doesn't sound all that great. The higher three strings are sex, but I'm not getting it from my E whether it has a .130 B string tuned to C or a .105 in Drop D. I'm not getting the EMG awesomeness with the E! And it ain't cuz of flabby strings. What's the problem? :help: :help: :help: Oh and it should be noted that my Classic Series 60's Jazz Bass is awesome with all strings so I know it ain't the amp or the choice of pickups on my P-Bass. What's the remedy?!?! :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. Sound is bleh. Hey, is there any reason why my tone ain't all that great. I have a Fender Mexican Precision that I recently installed EMG's into. It replaced a Seymour Duncan Hot pickup which wasn't all that great and I'm glad I got rid of it so why is my tone still not good? Oh and it must be meantioned that the A,D,and G strings sound awesome, but the E seems to be the only one that doesn't sound all that great. The higher three strings are sex, but I'm not getting it from my E whether it has a .130 B string tuned to C or a .105 in Drop D. I'm not getting the EMG awesomeness with the E! And it ain't cuz of flabby strings. What's the problem? Oh and it should be noted that my Classic Series 60's Jazz Bass is awesome with all strings so I know it ain't the amp or the choice of pickups on my P-Bass. What's the remedy?!?!

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the pickup is too low under the E string?

Hope you get things figured out.

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    You might have 1 bad string. Do you orientate the string as you string it up? If there is a twist in your string @ tension it's going to have dead spots w/no sustain & bad tone. A quick way to check is loosen the string all the way. Carefully pull the string windings out of the post (intact & still coiled). If the end of the string (where it slips into post) points perfectly down, there's no twist. If string tip points in the opposite direction (up), you've got a twist in your string. If it's pointing up, all you do is pull string slightly out of bridge, put the tip back in. You might have to straighten the ball end a little. If you've been playing the strings like that for a while , you should probably change strings. But a relatively new string you should be able to reorientate. Hope that helps. Let us know what your cure is. :)

5. I checked it out, man. Perfectly straight. Come to think of it I don't like D'Addario, so I will just put some Rotosound Swingbass which are the best ever! Maybe that will fix it? I never change my strings, I boil cuz I'm poor.

6. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    You probably already tried this, but here goes...

Check your intonation by tuning the open E. Then check to see if it's in tune on the 12th fret of the E. When I lowered my action, I knew nothing of the intonation adjustment. I could not figure out why my tone was all screwed up. So I researched and found that I needed to adjust the intonation on the bridge. I adjusted the saddles back and forth by turning the screws on the end.

I am a relative newbie - so this is probably something you're already tried.

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I'm gonna go out on a limb. It's the EMGs.

I have an original L2 Steinberger, fitted with EMGs. I had hoped to string it B-E-A-D instead of E-A-D-G

I tried stringing it low, and the B was just NOT HAPPENING.

Strung normal, the E is even dicey, compared to the other strings, if you ask me.

Now, that L2 is made ENTIRELY of carbon fiber, so guess what it doesn't have? Dead spots. It just ain't the bass, in other words. So what is it? I'm going with "it's the EMGs". I think they have bad low end response (in my admittedly limited experience).

8. :bassist: Hmm . . . I've got EMG PJs w/Spector TonePump pre-amp. Even with just my little crate practice amp the E string is thunderous. When I hook it up to a decent amp/cab @ GC - it's nearly the voice of g-d! The low-end seems quite good on my Spector Euro4 . . .

Regards,
    Mark F. Sanderson