1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low end boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mr-mungo, Sep 6, 2008.

1. mr-mungo

mr-mungo

Mar 14, 2008
    I want a pedal that will boost the extreme low end of my bass frequency. I'd like to avoid a super super high end pedal, but i could stretch

Thanks, MB

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a few ways to approach this. There are EQ pedals, which amplify specific frequency ranges; there are "preamp" pedals which are basically EQ's; there are filters, which can create a big resonant boost around a specific frequency; there are octavers, some of which generate a tone an octave below your bass signal; and then there are non-effect methods for boosting low end (more about that later).

Your profile shows you're using a 30W Laney amp. I'm sorry, but that is the ultimate limiting factor right there. You will never, ever get a decent projection of the extreme lows with that amp. If you get an amp that is actually capable of strong clear projection of the low end, (a) you may find you no longer wish for a boost in the lows, and (b) it will be as simple as plucking near the neck with the pads of your fingers, to get a massive boomy low end sound. And then if you choose a suboctaver or other effect for extra low end, a big enough amp will actually be able to reproduce that sound.

You can buy any pedal, but a tiny amp will never be able to reproduce the lows the pedal can generate.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bongo is right about the amp that you have......

....but to answer your question, the Moog Lowpass filter will do the job and than some.

4. You could try the Dark Boost by Devi Ever. It's $95.

5. EH Knockout is really nice for low end boost (everything under 85 Hz). Some really massive low end settings can be too much even for my 810 Ampeg. But in live situation Knockout is shaking the walls through PA-system. :D

6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1

I am very happy with my Knockout. Very versatile, it can really bring the lows. That being said, make sure that you have amplification that can actually reproduce the sound that you are looking for.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    EHX Hogs Foot would work too. Change the amp first.

8. +1 to above.

I'd go for an EQ pedal. Usually found cheap, and a very versatile pedal to have for any purpose.

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    +1, For instance I got an Artec parametric EQ for $50 new and shipped. It has adjustable frequency, width, boost level and gain. Put in front of my Mesa Buster, it's bonafide Blue Cheer tube overdrive goodness.

10. Yeah this all depends what your after, are you unhappy with your overall bass response, or are you after a bass boosting effect for some parts of your playing? Cheapest solution to the latter is an EQ pedal, parametric is probably the best way to go if there's a specific bass response your after (i.e. boomy high bass, pleasantly deep and floor shaking mid bass, or all out earthquake like sub bass) because you can find exactly what your after, how much of it you want, and with some of the more advanced ones how bigger range of your bass response you wanna mess with. If the problem is your overall sound as a whole then it's gonna cost a little more though.

Whats with the RED rose? Not very Yorkshire of you :p

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I really wouldn't recomend an eq pedal for boosting frequencies. Fine for cut, but please, not for boost.

12. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Low end boost? Pedals and amps can important choices in signal chain. However, please do not forget sound reinforcement/PA stuff as huge contributors to low end.

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The guy's only amp is a cheap tiny practice amp. I don't think he's going to be getting PA support quite yet. ;)

14. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    You're right! Though that may yet be the strongest argument in support of PA sound reinforcement yet! ;)

Kidding, of coure...

15. mr-mungo

mr-mungo

Mar 14, 2008
    Oh ok cheers, thanks for your help. I may consider purchasing an EQ, as some frequencies seem to dominate the soud. MB

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's funny... you seem to have ignored 90% of the advice in this thread...

17. With an Eq and your 30w amp here's what will happen:

First you shell out 100$ or more for the said pedal.

Then you try it with your amp an realise that it only barely helps, makes no difference at all or worst distort your amp because you're trying to boost frequencies it is just not capable of producing.

After all that you realise that it was a waste of money and that you have a 100$ less to invest in a new amp.

18. I was coming on here to suggest the EBS Microbass (I'm loving mine), but not much is going to help with your current amp. Low end takes a LOT of power.

19. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    You can lead a noob to water...

20. can't agree more. if you get a parametric eq you can find the frequencies you mentioned that are dominating the sound, and cut them accordingly. but the first thing to do would be... BUY A NEW AMP!!! 30W just won't cut it with low end frequencies, and you'll never make yourself heard over, say, two gui****s and a drummer without cranking your amp up to full whack and ruining any semblance of the tone you're looking for anyway.