1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low end boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mr-mungo, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Internet smacktalk, helpful input there... did you not consider that he might have actually read what people said? He might not have the hundreds of dollars available at the moment to buy a new amp, so an EQ pedal would be a more effective way of tailoring his sound for now especially considering how cheap some are. I did it a few years back when I had a crappy 30W practise amp and it worked for me.

Anyway, if your pretty poor at the moment, get a cheap EQ pedal and have a mess about, just don't turn your volume up too much and don't go boosting and cutting things to any extremes. I found my EQ pedal to be a good way of learning what certain frequencies sound like and what there effect is on other frequencies. Just don't spend more then $20-30 on one if your only gonna be using it with a practise amp.

If your not that poor save for a new amp, cos your unhappy with the overall sound and not wanting an effect to play with. Not wanting to jump to conclusions or anything, but if you have a 30W amp I assume you haven't been playing long, the small amount of controls you have at the moment may be alot more workable then you think, might be worth doing some reading up on EQ before you spend any money ;)

2. boosting low frequencys with a low wattage amp will lead to it just distorting more and more a new more powerful amp would be the most sensible solution

3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I'd like to go through the rest of my life without ever reading the term "noob" again. It's insulting.

I, for one, come to TB to gain knowledge from folks who play music; most of whom can offer their advice based on their experiences, not read these one-liner insults. Your comments (and responses like this one) clog up threads and detract from the actual topic of the thread.

I like the MXR M-80

4. Uhuh, I'm a pretty big gamer geek (I even use teamspeak sometimes... :() but I NEVER use any of those stupid terms except to mock the people that use them. I'm all for the evolution of language, but certainly not in any direction that dumbs it down or makes it overtly arrogant

Yeah I know, it depends what he's using it for, I never really used my amp other then to practise at home, and the 30W I got from my amp (obviously the term is almost meaningless alot of the time) was more then enough for me to play about with stuff like EQ settings with a pedal, cos I was only doing it at very low volume which the amp found comfortable.

5. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    as bongo said EQ's. I prefer to use something like a bass xciter but I find my EHX knockout can make it so deep that it's too deep but obviously it can be lessened :p