Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low end distortion or overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King David, Apr 24, 2003.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I can't stand the fuzz sound on a bass. I am not looking for a heavy crunchy distortion tone. I am trying to find a subtle very low end rumble addition to my tone. What suggestions do you have?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Heavy crunchy as in tube overdrive or grindy distortion ?

The Fulltone Bass-Drive produces heavily overdriven or distorted sounds that still remain warm. Not a fuzz at all.

For something lighter, A TubeWorks BlueTube will do a great job. So will a SanSamp BassDriver.

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend a DOD Classic Tube. It's a guitar pedal, but it makes a remarkable heavy overdrive for bass.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I will once again sing the praises of my Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz . Sure, on the higher settings, it can be raspy and obnoxious, but it will also clean up. I tend to like a little crunch sometimes, and this pedal will do it. Since it has separate volume controls for clean and effected sound, you can blend mostly clean with a little drive. That's mostly how I use it, and it sounds "slightly overdriven" to me.

4. EBS MultiDrive perhaps?
    It's got loads of low-end and it's capable of doin' both overdrive and distortion (even some sort of fuzz).

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Fulltone Bassdrive does a fine job of adding rumble, fullness and subtle overdrive to a bass sound. I find it almost 'vintagises' my rig. It can also do fullbore distortion, almost like fuzz when you crank the treble, but big warm overdrive is where it's most happy.

Alex

P.S. Has anyone out there tried running their Bassdrive on 18v as is now recommended on the Fulltone site?

6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I posted a thread on this about a week ago and nobody really replied (except Jazz Ad who stated that he liked the 9 volt better).

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never tried it, I'm happy enough with the 9V sound.