Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low End Growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Jul 20, 2001.

1. At the moment I have a Peavey 410TX 8ohm cab and my amp is only putting out 150 watts@8ohms. With this combination my amp is clips sometimes when it's cranked and it sounds muddy and a bit distorted. Even with my low B, it lacks that deep low end growl.
    So if I add an 8ohm 15" cab my impedance will become 4ohms and I will get more wattage. My questions are, how will that wattage be distributed to each cab, 50/50?
    Also, will adding a 15" cab give me that deep low end growl I am looking for?

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Sup funky

What kind of bass and amp do you have?

Is there a sweepable midrange control?

Growl is something that can largely be determined by the bass, pickups, and the amp itself.

3. Funky, that cabinet can probably handle 300 - 400 watts. I'd say get a more powerful head to get the most out of the cabinet you have rather than add another cab. I have a 60watt combo, so I'm not knocking your amp, but, 150 watts isn't really a lot of power for the volume you want.

Mike J.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    To better answer your question, we'd need to know how many watts your amp is at 4 ohm.
    I am running 120 watts into a 600 watt 4x10 cab sometimes i break out my 400 watt cab to make the full 4 ohm load and run the full 200 watts into each. And i believe that both cabs are receiving 200 watts. I could be wrong about that....But I dont have a problem with clipping and I get more than enough volume to be felt/heard. Try playing at lower volumes untill you can get a either another cab or head. If you add a 15" to your rig, then youll get more depth to your sound. but as for the growl you are looking for thats more from the bass not the amp. (at least thats been my experiences)

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    DONT!!
    Just buy another head. I did the same as You (as a test) and it even clipped More!!

6. stratusxh

stratusxh

Jul 15, 2001
    in my experience, the more speakers and air you're moving, the louder the volume will be, i have a gk400rb that is only 200 watts at maximum(4ohms) that can kill small rodents with a couple good 4x10s. i paired it with some goliath 3's once(my friend had more gear than most local music stores) and i never got the volume on the amp to more than 40% power in a band setting. remember, if you want a power increase from pure watts alone(even if headroom on an amp is sweet, which it is) you'd have to have like a 1500watt amp to double the sound you're getting from the one you have. that would mean upgrading to speakers that could handle that kind of RMS anyway. get speakers before a new amp, if possible. besides, if your bandmates are flexible, you could always ask them to turn down their equipment to your volume, so you dont have to strain your equipment to compete. asking nicely and at the right time can do wonders for inter-band communication (why should we be wearing earplugs at PRACTICE guys?)