Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-end Peavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChRiS bE, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Can i please ask what you guys think of some of the "low-end" peavy basses.

I currently own a peavy milestone 3 (my first bass) I have been playing for about 5 months now and I really like it.

It is very lively (if you know what i mean) it almost has a "Modulus flea bass" type tone (obvilsuly nowhere as good ;) ) but for a bass under £200 i think it is well groovy :D

i am currently borrowing a 72 jazz bass. Very NICE BUT!!!!!!! i find it allmost boring :eek: to play (perhaps due to the flatwounds) but even so........ i feel that a bass worth about £1500 should be nicer and more enjoyable to play than a £175 bass............your thoughs Cill vous plait

Thanx in advance!!

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why does it matter what we think? What YOU think is what matters.

3. do you not like me..................

this is the 2nd post where you make sound like an idiot! :mad:

i know what i think.........and therefore i want to know what other people think.......

All part of the learning experiance known AS BASS!!

sorry to be bitchy but that is what i think!

(bets on me getting banned after this :( :( )

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ...:confused:

Why are you getting so worked up? I simply gave you an answer!

What other think doesn't matter if YOU like it! The answers you'll get will range from "Love em" to "Burn em all", so it's really not going to help you much! If you know you like them, that's all that matters.

I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to try and help. ;)

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    my bro used to have a cheap peavy bass that I really liked

6. angus..............i dont want to be a wan*er i just want to know what other people think.

i know their will be a range in opionions but i am sure most of them will have good reasons behind them.

that is what interests me and perhaps i might learn something..which.......afterall is why i take the time to read through thease posts.

sorry to have been a bitch but thats the way i feel

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Angus, your post could have been taken the wrong way. The kid said he was inexperienced and would like to know a little more info on his bass. I see nothing wrong with that. Not necessarily saying you do. He just wants to know what more experienced players think of his bass. To the matter at hand, sorry man, I’ve never played that bass. I’ve heard peavey is making some nice stuff these days.

8. I'll admit it, even though I own several much nicer basses, one of my mainstays has been an older (ferrite pickups) foundation. Even at a time when I owned a custom 5 string, a nice reissue P bass and others, I used this bass strung with flats for quite a while as my main bass, and it still gets more than it's share of playing time. It only doesa couple of sounds, really, but they're usable, reliable, and non room-dependant. Although there's no way it's going to soundas nice as my G&L or my schecter or my warmoth, it never has an off night, and it's never met a room it didn't like. Plus, I never had to worry about bringing it to a show, so what if my $100 bass gets dented? Some of peavey's low end stuff is quite useable, you just have to either play a few to find the good ones or just get lucky (I just got lucky).

mike

9. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Chris, the milestone is a very good bass in that price range. Peavey's high end gear is very good also, if you look to trade up at some time.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why settle for a Milestone. Foundation or Fury when you can get an RSB, Dyna, Forum or Palaedium for about $100 more used?

11. thanx for you thoughts so far!!!!!

thanx old-skool you hit the nail right on the head........i didn't mean to flay off the handle but i was not in the mood to be treated like a sum kid who cant even remember the order of the strings

ummmmmmmm EBGA.......right??? j/k ;)

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey makes some pretty good stuff in the lower end of the spectrum, too. They often get overlooked, as many people still have "headstockitis", meaning that they are more concerned with the name on the headstock than whether or not the bass is actually any good. I personally prefer the lower end Peavey's to any MIM Fender Jazz or Precision, but that is my personal opinion.;)

And by the way, what Angus was trying to get at is right. It doesn't matter what a thousand other people think, it matters what YOU think, because you are the one playing it. As long as you like it, doesn't matter a bit what we all think.:)

13. point taken............i just fell that if you only consider your own thoughts there would be no such thing as forums....etc

thanx

14. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I have a Milestone III, and it definately is a great bass for the price paid. I just recently defretted it and the sound is even better to me :)

15. COOL:cool:

i will think about doing that when i upgrade my bass

16. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Last year I considered a Milestone III but remembered that I was in the market for a 5-string. The Milestone III is good stuff in its price range.