Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low End - pickups for a P - bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mikeym, Dec 11, 2003.

1. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    Hey guys,,

i have a fender squier limited edition P bass... the pickups are giving me a bit of buzz and i would like to get more low end on my bass... are there a set of pick - ups i could get that would give me that low low sound w/out the buzz?

~mikeym

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a PM! :D

3. Well...

As for the buzz... don't worry 'bout it. A good replacement p-bass pickup are the "Bassline's Quarter Pounder's" they are passive but they are some sweet pups!:D they are really hot and have a great tone. But then again you have to think about what kind of music you play. And they are not all that pricy!

- Adam

rockin' on the ROCK!

4. i have a bartolini pickup in my P-clone. it has a lot more low end than a fender P, but its overall tone is fairly "soft". i guess others might call it warm.

i love it. it's not aggressive at all, but it is really defined in the mids and highs. i don't think it was that expensive, either, but it's been a few years and i don't know what other P replacement pickups cost, so i couldn't say.

good luck!

robb.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree that the Quarter Pounder and the Bartolini both have deeper lows than a vintage-voiced P-pup. The EMG also has very deep lows, IME. I personally like the "vintage" sound which has more prominent low-mids and mids, which is probably why I have a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 in my Precision.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think I will put Villex in my P-bass based on the reviews on this forum.
    Do a search!

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Quarter Pounder...should be the standard mod on any P bass in my opinion. Best 50 bucks you can spend.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where can you get quarter pounders for $50?

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    snagged my last one off of ebay but the previous two i've purchased came from guitar center.

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use the Fender Original Precision Bass pickup. I think that's the one used in the reissues. It sounds nice. I can't wait till it's closer to gigging/recording time so I can put my flatwounds on it.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've used Basslines, Armstrong and the original on my '82 P-Bass. I would rank them as such:

1) Original Fender
    2) Armstrong
    3) Basslines

The P-Bass Basslines just did nothing for me. I like the Armstrong pickup a good bit more than the Basslines and would recommend. However, I honestly think your best bet is to find some old original P-Bass pickups, preferably circa 1970s. The original Fender pickups were hard to beat, as many here will attest.