Low End - pickups for a P - bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mikeym, Dec 11, 2003.

1. mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    Hey guys,,

i have a fender squier limited edition P bass... the pickups are giving me a bit of buzz and i would like to get more low end on my bass... are there a set of pick - ups i could get that would give me that low low sound w/out the buzz?

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a PM! :D
  3. Well...

As for the buzz... don't worry 'bout it. A good replacement p-bass pickup are the "Bassline's Quarter Pounder's" they are passive but they are some sweet pups!:D they are really hot and have a great tone. But then again you have to think about what kind of music you play. And they are not all that pricy!

- Adam

rockin' on the ROCK!
  4. i have a bartolini pickup in my P-clone. it has a lot more low end than a fender P, but its overall tone is fairly "soft". i guess others might call it warm.

i love it. it's not aggressive at all, but it is really defined in the mids and highs. i don't think it was that expensive, either, but it's been a few years and i don't know what other P replacement pickups cost, so i couldn't say.

good luck!

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree that the Quarter Pounder and the Bartolini both have deeper lows than a vintage-voiced P-pup. The EMG also has very deep lows, IME. I personally like the "vintage" sound which has more prominent low-mids and mids, which is probably why I have a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 in my Precision.
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think I will put Villex in my P-bass based on the reviews on this forum.
    Do a search!
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Quarter Pounder...should be the standard mod on any P bass in my opinion. Best 50 bucks you can spend.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where can you get quarter pounders for $50?
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    snagged my last one off of ebay but the previous two i've purchased came from guitar center.
  10. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use the Fender Original Precision Bass pickup. I think that's the one used in the reissues. It sounds nice. I can't wait till it's closer to gigging/recording time so I can put my flatwounds on it.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've used Basslines, Armstrong and the original on my '82 P-Bass. I would rank them as such:

1) Original Fender
    2) Armstrong
    3) Basslines

The P-Bass Basslines just did nothing for me. I like the Armstrong pickup a good bit more than the Basslines and would recommend. However, I honestly think your best bet is to find some old original P-Bass pickups, preferably circa 1970s. The original Fender pickups were hard to beat, as many here will attest.