Low end problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRN, Dec 12, 2002.

1. DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I need some help.

I have a WT-800 and (2) 410XLT cabs each rated for 4 ohms each(running stereo)
    I have a Warwick Streamer 2 five string with the b string tuned to A and the E string tuned to d.
    I play heavy music like mudvayne etc.

My problem lies in the low end. It always sounds muddy. Very fat but muddy. I am looking for a nice growly tight defined low end. No matter how I eq I either get the low end to sound ok and the mids and highs are then screaming or I get the mids and highs to sound awsome then the low end sounds sloppy big and undefined.

Are Eden 410-XLT cabs known for their lack of clear low end or am I just an idiot with eq problem. I have heard that they lack definition somewhere but can not remember where.

Any sugestions on a cabinet under a single Eden 410 that would clean it up. I have heard the Aguilar
    two twelve cabs are nice and tight. Any thoughts.

Also any WT-800 users want to share some sample settings to achieve this would be cool.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. You're asking a lot from 10 inch speakers. Here's a case for bi-amping if ever I heard one.
  3. You need headroom...bridge that amp into and 8 ohm cab......
  4. I agree with JW on this one. Try using your EQ to subtract what you don't want. Start flat and cut what you don't like. This usually works for me.
  5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i would totally agree with mudbass here, and suggest you find a good 18" subwoofer and put a LOT of power behind it. defenilty biamp it. 18's tend to sound muddy when run full range (my experience at least)

the downside to larger speakers is that they are very inefficient... thats the trouble im having with mine, which is motivating me to switch to all 10s. the cabinet business is all tradeoffs.
  6. DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Sorry for not responding sooner work has been nuts.

Thanks for all the responses. I have a few questions and want to answer a few questions.

Currently I have the first bass set slightly cut from 0. the low is cut about the same, mids are cut about 1/4 turn, highs are boosted slightly etc. Enhance is boosted about 1/8 turn. I forget what the frequencys are set for.
    This is all from memory so it is not exact. My rig is at a rehersal studio and not at home for me to check.

I have a few questions about bi amping and other options

The first questions is, given that my current cabs are both 4 ohms each I assume I should look for a 4 ohm 15 or would you recommend 8 ohms on the bottom?

I have never run bi amped before.

What about a DBX compressor to add a little punch and even the strings out? I would hate to add more rack stuff to my rig but if it helps....

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    you would want the minimum ohm load your amp can handle on the bottom end. this will allow it to get the most power out of your amp. this is necessary becuase it takes much more power to amplify the lower bass waves, especially those from say, 30-150 Hz or so, as you might have in this situation.

i cant answer your question about a compressor, sorry.

if you have the extra funds, the best course to follow would be to buy an external, larger poweramp, something in the lines of 1000 watts or so, and use it to power a good bottom cab, so as to have a good amount of headroom.
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Eden XLT cabs have a huge hump in the midbass frequencies which really helps 4-strings cut through. However, when you start going lower this hump can cause a lack of clarity because instead of boosting the 2nd & 3rd harmonic (i.e. the octave and octave+fifth) it starts boosting the 3rd, 4th & 5th harmonics (i.e. octave+fifth, two octave, octave + maj third) and that major third can cause some nasty mud. Try using the semi-parametic eq on your head to smooth out that peak.

9. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    And thus... exactly what I don't like about Eden heads.

Quick fix - turn down the bass. Boost the low mids. You won't like how it sounds by itself, but in the mix it will be better. Then boost a little treble (same rule applies)...
  10. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN

You mentioned that you have a WT-800 and 2 410XLT cabinets and you want better sounding lows without sacrificing the clarity of the Mids and Highs.

As someone already mentioned, you might try biamping. You can probably biamp with the cabinets and amp you already have.

I have never worked with Eden cabinets but it probably will work fine for either the highs or lows.
    Pick one cabinet to use for the lows and turn the horn off (usually a knob on the back of the cab). Set the amp to biamp mode (you mentioned you are currently running in stereo mode so I assume that the amp can be set to biamp).
    Run the low channel into the cabinet with the horn turned off. Run the high channel to the other cabinet. I would start the crossover at the lowest point (I can not tell from the picture on the web site but it looks like 100Hz) and move it up until you have the tone you want. I would suspect the crossover will work best between 100Hz and 200Hz.
    This will have your fundamentals coming from your low cabinet with you tone and detail coming from the high cabinet.
    By splitting the signal into low and high signals, each cabinet will not have to work as hard to produce sound and should be cleaner.