1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

low end, Samick vs. Cort

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Cort

2. Samick

3. carrots

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Which one would you feel more comfortable buying in the $100 range?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've heard better things (on here) about some Corts. Maybe not in that range though. No experience with either.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I've played both and always liked the samick necks.
    Pickups are awful but that's an easy fix.

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Are they stable over time? That's the complaint I remember hearing, but that was like, several ages of the Earth ago now. ;)

5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I picked up an old Ibby Ergodyne EDB 500 with a nice case not too long ago that is a Korean Cort. It is a really nice "low end" bass.

bholder and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I had forgotten they'd subcontracted those out, yeah. Always have wanted to try an Ergodyne just to find out how they feel...

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I voted "carrots" because I'd consider either at that price point. I've played numerous examples of each, and my decision would ultimately come down to subtleties.

Plenty of 'em out there, though not quite at the $100 level. The Luthite-bodied Ergodynes still seem to command $300+, while the later basswood-bodied Ergodynes often go for considerably less. My cherished EDB605 will be 20 years old next year!

MCF, Killed_by_Death and bholder like this.
  8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    The 2 I owned never had issues except for seasonal changes.
    And others i played in stores I can't comment on.

bholder likes this.
  9. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Neck, fretwork and overall fit and finish are really nice. Some on here knock the pickups, but I think they are fine for what it is. I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on other Cort made basses, given how nice this one turned out to be.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have no problem rocking a cheap bass if it sounds good and plays well. I don't all get religious over it. But I don't rule an instrument out just because it's dirt cheap and has a name I never heard of. I'll try out pretty much anything.

So when it comes to super inexpensive basses, my experience has been they're much like the nursery rhyme about the "little girl with a little curl." When you get a good one, they tend to be surprisingly good - or surprisingly good with a better and equally inexpensive Guitar Fetish pickup installed. But when they're bad…well they're bad.

Of the two brands, I've had good luck with Corts from time to time. However, I never once picked up a Samick branded anything where I liked the way it sounded or played - and I never bought a Sammy as a result. Since they do contract manufacturing for some better known and regarded names, I'm guessing they reserve whatever genuine quality they're capable of producing for their contract clients. Their own stuff is pretty sad.

I'd still hesitate to actually recommend either brand. Because they are what they are. But if it ever came down to a choice between the two, I'd be far more inclined to go with a Cort due to my experiences with them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Honch and Killed_by_Death like this.
  11. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I'm fairly certain Gene's personal basses are custom made.

JR Roxx likes this.
  12. Well yeah, surely Gene & Jeff aren't using $100 Corts, but the fact that I can think of no Samick endorsing artists...

I cruised the pawn shops for a cheap Precision bass & somehow missed this Samick:

7hZHwDvN4N_0RG0B3uZPj19CQrywrE0WOP1ic90Alhwt_zOK_HEd4Cucp9R-X_RFG6wo7M7OtDBnxb6Bsc=w530-h1017-no.

Meanwhile, this Cort arrived at home:

[​IMG]

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I owned a Cort Curbow for awhile.

Probably the fastest slickest neck I ever played even if it took a huge amount of truss rod tightening to get it to play without buzzing all over the place. But once it finally settled down it virtually played itself. And all those frets combined with its freakishly low action only served to encourage some of the most wretched, over the top and self-indulgent playing I was ever capable of.

Maybe if it didn't look like something that was stolen out of Prince's dressing room it wouldn't have had that effect on me.

Fortunately, that nonsense was entirely confined to my music room at home - just like any other 'solitary vice' should be.

I probably would have kept it (it was truly a fun bass) but the vapors coming off its synthetic "Luthite" body caused me some allergic reactions, so I ended up giving it away to a young lady who was just beginning on bass, and whose parents didn't have much in the way of money to play around with.

Win-win. How often do you get a chance to make somebody that happy for so little out-of-pocket?

14. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I have a Cort P-bass. The neck is beefy IMO....but I'm more of a jazz bass guy. I got mine for cheap and slapped a used quarter pounder and a set of fender flats on it and it sounds great. It's my backup bass....but it makes it into the rotation every now and then.

I've only played Samick basses at pawn shops....not bad for a low cost.

15. Cort all the way now... Their Indonesian factory us working for everybody amongst others although it went into a fire couple of years ago...
    I own a GB94.... Very fast and playable neck... Goid woods selection... Mica Bass though preamp has to be changed

16. Never played a Samick but I did use a short scale neck of theirs' in a build. It must have been 15-20 year old and
    was still in great shape.

Only had good experiences with Cort too.

If it felt good in my hands I'd buy either one.

17. I Know samik made the Korean epiphones In the 90's...never played the basses,or even know if they did the basses too, but the mik epi guitars are climbing in price,are solid guitars and I loved the black beauty I had

18. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Cort A5 is currently my main bass. I tripped over the edge of a rug today and the bass landed partially on the headstock, and a freaking music stand fell sideways against the neck leaving a pretty big dent :mad:. I was mad, but plugged it in and it was still in tune. Mine holds tune better than any stringed instrument I've ever had. The action is super low, and it has a lot of tone shaping options.

Overall, no complaints with my Cort!

19. SX ;)

20. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I failed to play a bad Cort. The lower tier sounds average at least. Living in Korea I have tried a bunch of those.

On the other hand i find their business practices very questionable. There is a documentary out there and the worker's conditions are very poor.
    If you care about that sort of things.