1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low End True Voice Rack Mount Pre

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by wilsonn, Jan 8, 2012.

1. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    I bought my Low End True Voice Rack Mount Preamplifier from Brian about four years ago. It didn't see much use. It was rack mounted and is very clean.

If you do a forum search, you'll read about the high build quality, the clean, B15 like thump. I've experimented with a variety of tubes, and those are included in the sale.

I actually just had this pre in to Andy Fuchs at Fuchs Audio Technology. I wanted him to mod the amp to sound more like my preferred sound--more hifi, less thump. He told me this pre was doing its job too well to mod. He was impressed with the build, the components and the sound and told me he wouldn't change a thing. So, I am moving this high quality piece on to someone else.

These are discontinued! Brian couldn't make a big enough profit (at $700+), so stopped making them. They are really sweet if you want that classic Jamerson, Ampeg, tube-driven thump.

Stock photo below. Real pics if you're interested, but it's fresh out of the rack.

Asking $400 shipped anywhere in the USA.
    letvrack1.

2. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    TTT

3. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    one more once

4. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    This is 2 channels, correct?

5. No it is a single channel,it does have two 1/4 outputs on the back along with a DI and ground lift switch.
    I have one and doubt that I will ever get rid of it,the sound is just what it says "True Voice".
    If you are familiar with the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp or the Carvin B500 amp they have good sound but they remind me of an effects pedal because they are so colored and all of the basses you plug in to them have a similar sound.
    These LE Preamps are very responsive,Harmonic and fat anywhere you are on the fret board.I just sold 2 Aguilar DB659 pre's because of the inconsistency with the tone,IMOP the Aggie has a huge bottom end almost boomy with a nice low mid growl and as you transfer in to the upper mids they get soft and then go into a clean piano like sound in the highs and that gets buried in the mix.
    Just my .02

6. What are the controls?

Can it handle active?

Do you have any soundclips?

I had a tabletop version years ago, and got rid of it because it was so thin in the bottom. Very little bass at all. It made every bass I plugged into it sound very thin. Is this one different?

7. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    Sorry, just saw the post above.

I don't have any clips, but there are clips on the 'net if you look for them.

Controls, from left to right, an input jack, a mute switch, a low/high switch for passive or active basses, gain knob, a tone knob that seems to be 'flat' at twelve o'clock, a bass boost switch, a high frequency boost knob, a knob that turns off the sound completely in the zero position, but does nothing to the sound in any other position (which on further reflection may be a pot for the DI?), a headphone jack, and a power on LED. In practice, I found the knobs do fairly modest tone modifications. I get much greater tone modification from my fingers, and from the pots on my basses.

This thing sounds like a B15 with a very fat bottom. If that's your thing, this is a nice, well made solution. There's nothing thin about the bottom on this preamp.

8. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Last knob is headphone volume, IIR. KILLER preamp.

EDIT: Yep, its headphone volume, just checked on mine. I'm considering buying this one so I'll have a backup.... someone please buy this so I don't lol.

9. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    Brendan, you need this preamp. It's calling you. And who knows, they're handmade so you may like this one's voicing more than your own.

10. Good thing you checked your headphone amp after the warranty expired :D.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Did you get my pm?

12. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    No, I've got no PM from eyeballkid.

13. From left to right on the front panel is as follows,
    Input jack,mute switch,active/passive switch,volume knob,treble knob,bright switch,bass knob,Headphone volume,Headphone jack,Power Switch.
    The back panel has two 1/4 outputs,XLR/DI,ground lift switch,110/220 switch.

14. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Ha ha, I knew it worked; just wanted to make sure that's what the knob did!

15. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    payment pending