Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low end

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mclaud, Oct 27, 2002.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi everybody
    I have a problem and need you guys to help me.
    I own a warwick Tumb Bolt on broadneck 5 strings (2002 model) . I'm really happy with it but I feel like I need to Increase my low-end definition.
    So my questions is, should I add another pick-up near to the neck equal to the others, change my neck pickup to an hambucker (MM type), change my electronics....
    Do you guys have any ideas? Please let me know...

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

low end definition comes from bridge pickup and wood.
    It won't help adding another pickup.

3. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    So, in your opinion what can i do?
    I like very much my sound in jazz or slap style, but when i need to get more groove sound, there's a lack of lows....

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Now, that's something else.
    Is it a lack of lows, or a lack of definition ?

If you just want more lows, then a bridge PU could help.
    If you complain about your sound not being focused enough, then the only solution would probably to change instrument.

5. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi!
    I feel a need more lows, my pick ups are too far from the neck in my opinion. my sound is too mid. Some Technician told me that if i change my neck pick up (mec soapbar) to a SD (MM Style) this could do the job.

6. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I think you should not modify the bass. Not all basses serve all purposes.

What is your amplifier? Have you ever plugged your bass into a mixing console and listened through headphones?

7. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    E um abraço do Brasil !!!

8. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi!
    My Amp is a Warwick Quad VI ( all tube pre amp 600 watts) with a 4x10 cab, and i've tryed my bass in all cabs and amps that i've found and i always feel a lack of lows. i've been talking with a local technitian and he says that the best option is to go for a couple oh EMG Pickups.....
    What do yoo think??

Um braço de Portugal...........

9. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Humm... so it's not the amp...

I think you could change your pickups, they could be SDs or EMGs, but try to keep your pickup CONFIGURATION (two soapbars) because you'll not lose resale value and you can go back to original if you want. You could change the preamp too (people seems to dislike MEC preamps).

10. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Ah, and I saw a user in this forum (Warwick5s ?) saying once that the difference between a Thumb BO and a Streamer Stage 2 is the BIG BOTTOM the later one has.