LOW F# on six string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Sep 21, 2004.

1. hey guys i have a custom semi hollow body single cut six string and the lows on this thing are incredible and i was wondering what it would be like to put a low F# and drop the high c. i just had a few questions. could my amp handle that

i have a ampeg svt3-pro and a svt-410hlf cab i also have an avatar 115 cab for smaller gigs.

has any one ever tried this ?
    if so how does that low f# sound?
    thanx for the help i'll try to get some pics of the bass up soon

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    The low F# doesn't really sound. What you hear is the same F# as the one on the second fret of your E string, only with a fatter timbre. A low F# is right around 20Hz, which is just ridiculously low. Very few speakers can reproduce it at anything near the volume of other notes. But they do reproduce it's first octave, which is what you really hear anyway.

Actually, most stereos don't even really reproduce the low E of a 4 string- you hear the octave (84Hz-ish) instead of the fundamental.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the harmonic series of the low f# is different than the f# on the e string, and even in a rig that can't reproduce the fundamental the note sounds different.

with a fairly inexpensive pa sub i'm able to get a reasonable representation of the low F# as far as pant-flap factor goes.
  4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    As long as there is good harmonic content in your F# you will get a decent sense of the note you're reaching - but it isn't the ideal speaker arrangement IMO.

Play it for a while and see what you think. It may very well be you're going to be perfectly happy with what you have. I would suggest, though, that you consider putting something under the 4x10 that is specifically intended to reach lower.

The response on spec for that cabinet has a bottom end of between 40 and 45 Hz and your F# is somewhere near 17.5Hz. I bet you'd be well served by getting an additional cab that has a low end of at least 30 Hz - lower still if you have the budget. The lower they go the more they tend to cost.

....my $.02
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Low C# is around 17.5Hz. F# is up in the 20s somewhere.
  6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings

My bad..... it's 23.125 Hz
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    An amp at 30hz min really goes below 30hz. it just begins to loose volume of vibrations below 30hz. So a low F# should sound fine on a 30hz min cab. Usually those cabs are 15" or 18" (or 20" :bassist: )
    So personally i won't go to a low F# without a woofer cab.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd go for an 18" or a 21" woofer if you're gonna stick with the F#. You might not, so I don't think I'd advise going out and buying one before stringing it up :p.

I feel weird...your'e reaching to the depths of the human hearing range and I'm about to toss C on my fretted and make it a tenor :D.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It's hard to say something this without really knowing the details of the exact amp (cab) in question. The dropoff below the -3dB point can be very steep depending on the cab design, and if the cab is ported then it is not very wise to pump much power into it below it's tuning frequency.