Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low F#

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by balembic, Jan 9, 2004.

1. balembic

balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    Due to circumstances beyond my control and/or locale I have never heard a bass with a low F#. Could someone post an audio clip of one. Preferably by itself. Thanks

BTW I did do the best search I could and couldn't find one so bear with me if you have had to go through this ordeal before. :bassist:

2. I think there are some samples at the Benavente site, but I'm not sure of the address.

I think you can hear a couple of super lows on one of my cuts. PM me for the link (it's on another bass site... :eek: )

from the low end,

Stew

3. Here's an old clip of me noodling around on my Warrior 9-string. There is some low F# stuff in there.

dave edit: (audio clip removed because I hosed my bandwidth for the month. Over 100 downloads! :D )

The bass is pictured at:
    http://www.unpronounceable.com/images/warrior/

It doesn't have the depth or clarity of Jean Baudin's Conklin 9 which I tried out through an Accugroove rig at BassQuake a while back.

To be honest, I don't really care for the low F#. I haven't felt the need to play it (if it sounded better, I probably would though) so I will be retuning that instrument a fourth higher so it will be B E A D G C F Bb Eb

- Dave

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    heres one of a Benavente string F#-G on a 6 string SC. The Player doesn't sound half as good as Dave, but I hope it gives a little depth into the F#.
    http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/images/sound files/f6ben.mp3

Hopefull after NAMM I will have some sound and Video Clips from NAMM on this 9 string being played you can chech out at the Benavente Site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Damn, I want that bass!!!! :eek:

6. she sure is pretty, Mark!

:D

from the lows,

Stew

7. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow cool! Will check her out at NAMM. Got my eyes on that red 6 strings:D

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That's a pretty psycho bass. That's going to be at NAMM Brian?

9. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    That's a MONSTER ..... :D

10. That bass turned out even better than I thought it would!! :eek:

Beautiful bass, Brian! Chris did a wonderful job on that one.

11. yo,

that bass sounds mad!
    i always wondered what people did on these huge basses!
    My subwoofer COULD NOT HANDLE those low notes! it shook and had a fit and just made everything on my desk fall off! haha

keep up the good work, that peice of 'noodling' has a lot of musicallity in there wouldn't you say?

12. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    edit (jt) : respect for all members. that means not calling them stupid if they do something you don't understand.

13. ugh...how can that be enjoyable? thats over the top...its too much.

14. hush you.

and that clip rocks, though i think i need new speakers... :smug:

15. Neither does coming on a message board and trying to put down what other people enjoy playing.

16. Thanks! I think most noodling is very musical and I try to be musical with whatever I play. It's just devoid of anything resembling a composition. That's why I call it noodling. I guess I could call it an improvisation. :D

- Dave

17. Yes it does.

- Dave

18. :D

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why the attitude?

20. hey all,

I have a live clip featuring my low F# if you're still curious. hit this link -- http://www.brotherhoodofgroove.com -- and wait for the small window to open. make sure your sub is on. the open low F# happens just a little while after the guitar solo.

I hope that was some help.

from the lows,

Stew