Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-Fi bass preamps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewbone, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Any of you boutique shoppers ever hear of a Roland SIP-301 preamp? Or a Yamaha PB-1? Any gas on those old birds?

Stewbone

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I wouldn't call the PB-1 "low-fi", but mine sounds pretty good. I've been having problems with the input jack (I think it was pretty badly jolted during shipping when I bought it and the jack might have a short, but even mint ones distort pretty easily with an active bass.) Other than that, it has an uncolored basic voicing and a flexible EQ, just like I want it to. The filter crossover is an excellent design that I'd like to see imitated more often (the only preamps I've seen with a design remotely like it are made by EBS.)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could get a Bass POD. Plenty of lo-fi available there.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ooooo, a nice kick to the crotch... :eek:

5. I have a PB-1 and I love it. The things I don't like: Mid is cut only as far as I can tell.
    No aux in (for cd-player or similar). Haven't tried using the effects in for that, might work.
    Distorts when it receives too hot a signal.

If you can learn to live with these issues (I sure did), it's a fantastic sounding, dirtcheap preamp with flexibility up the yingyang.

Cheers ROdy

6. PS the pb-1 isn't lo-fi by any means!!!!

Cheers Rody

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I have one and love it. Awesome pre and got it cheap, that's what most people love about it. Flexible and tons of bang-for-buck if you score one under $100. Seems like they are catching on and the prices are climbing slightly on ebay. The Roland looks to have a good many features but don't know how clean it is. The Yamaha is very clean, no hiss or noise whatsoever.
    K

8. Welllll,...

It would appear I stand corrected, and I thank you all for putting me right. I'm going to go and chase it down before it becomes a premium vintage item! Thanks again,

Stewbone

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I figured my POD comment might be interpreted that way, but in reality, it models a bunch of amps from pre-history that can be characterized as lo-fi. A perfect example is the Fender Bassman, one of which I owned in the late '70s. Man, it was DEFINITELY lo-fi, and the POD does a good job of emulating it.

10. So that Pod, is that a "floor-mount" type stomp-box only, or do they produce a rack-mount preamp, as well?
    I've got a Digitech BP-200, and it "models" a handful of items, but I'm using it mostly for a few choice sounds and effects, not as a preamp, per se. I have heard accolades about the Pod.

Stewbone

11. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    they make a "bass pod pro" which is a rackmount version of the pod. I think it's more expensive, with more features.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Neither version of the POD is stompbox style.

One is desktop (table top, amp top), the other is Rackmount.

They do have great floorboards for switching presets midway through a song. The better model floorboard has two expression pedals and a tuner to.

Its not perfect emulation, but the POD is really pretty damn good.

Peace
    Nick

13. Hmmm. Say it enough and it begins to sound pretty wierd. Say it with me: The POD. POD. Again: POD.
    Fun!

Thanks for the info- probably will stick with a nice, inexpensive, LOW-FI preamp (heh-heh). Currently looking at a Roland, if I can sell off some old junk I mean cool old-school gear. Acoustic 370 anyone?

Stewbone.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I had a POD, but I sold it, just because I'm not into anything retro at all. It does a good job of modeling old amps and effects, but I always thought the old stuff sucked when it was new. I mean, it even models the suckiness of the effects.

15. Everything has its place. Yesterday at rehearsal I pluggged into my Acoustic 370, ran it into my Crest poweramp, into the EAW cab... it got rave reviews all around. Plenty of phat, and a nice rip to it. We're doing Ozzy and old Sabbath (it's a tribute thing), so it really seems to suit. Obviously not for everything, but it's working out, here.

The amount of distortion inherent in the Acoustic (+- 10%) means I'm having a hard time getting volume without also getting a clipping light on the Crest; I'm guessing that's dirty signal going into it. Or it's a hot votage from the 370's preamp or both), old technology does have its' setbacks. I'm hoping another 8 ohm cab will be the fix. The nice thing about this all is I may be able to get over with more or less what I've already got around. 'Cept the other cab.

Stewbone.