1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Gain Overdrive: green rhino vs Boss obd-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ewgrosschris, Apr 3, 2015.

1. ewgrosschris

ewgrosschris

Jan 12, 2015
    anyone have suggestions on which is a better buy? I just tried out both really quick at GC and it seemed that I had to have the gain turned to minimum on both pedals. I'm looking to play my p bass with a pick and get some warm overdriven sounds.

2. If you didn't like either when you tried them, why not look at different options?

What kind of tone and price range are you going for?

crapusername likes this.
  3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    There are better choices out there for what you say you're looking for.
    Try the hardwire cm2 perhaps. It's tubescreamer based, but loses no low end.
    IMO the odb3 is suitable for driving a tube amp, or in an industrial metal environment.
    When I used the rhino, it sounded quite thin to my ears, even with the 100hz control in play.

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

IMO, Pork Loin is better at low gain than the Green Rhino. Bad Monkey is also a good option, more so the modded for bass versions.

5. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I'd also avoid the pork loin, it sounded muddy and dark to my ears whilst losing low end, and always got lost in a band mix. There is a mod from Johnk that apparently transforms the tone, but it was not available when I had my pl.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The ODB-3 is a high gain monster that sucks at low gain. But then again, you did try both out in the store so which sounded better to you?

Since you play with a pick though, I would forget everything in the store and get an Idiot Box Blower Box. The demos online make it sound pretty harsh, but with the gain and treble set low, it produces a really nice warm yet slightly aggressive distortion that fits pick playing better then anything else I've found in all my years of pedal hunting.

Well, that and the VT Bass!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. ewgrosschris

ewgrosschris

Jan 12, 2015
    Well I just got a used Fulltone OCD. That seemed to work well with my active bass and TC electronic 210 cab! Thanks to everyone! Now to get back to practicing!

8. Practice, bass players don't need no stinkin practice.:thumbsup::bassist:

9. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I've used, and liked, the ODB-3. The trick is to turn the gain and treble down some and use the BLEND control to dial in the amount of drive you need.

I haven't used the Green Rhino, but I do use the MXR Custom Modified Badassed OD (which is essentially the Green Rhino without the curve control). On low gain, with the bump button in and the 100hZ knob cranked, it sounds great.

10. I own an odb3 and its definetly not warm or subtle. For that type use the sans amp. The odb3 is better for for more of a fizzy fuzz blended with clean type tone. It's really only useful for modern rock and metal. Totally out of place in most styles

11. I have an ODB3 that I'm going to part with in the classifieds soon - I think it's a bit harsh, and I just can't seem to get any sounds I like with it. It would be great for guitar, but not so much bass IMO.

I'm really hyped over the VFE Triumvirate with 3 gain controls for bass/mid/treble!!! This sounds like a superior way to build a distortion pedal vs a standard single gain. Saving up while we speak.

>>>>> http://vfepedals.com/triumvirate.html

12. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I'm just replying to agree because I happened to use both an ODB3 and a Green Rhino on a 3-hour gig this weekend. I absolutely agree that the ODB3 is too harsh to be very useful. It also adds a lot of high-end. Meanwhile I was LOVING the Rhino. I was able to turn down the gain a bit to sound like a hugely distorted tube amp (for Sabbath-y stuff) or crank it to get guitaristic sounds or play solos or just huge power chords. I was warned that it would suck low end but I actually put the tone control at 12 o'clock because adding the 12Db boost to 100hZ sounded really extreme to my ears!

The ODB3 in comparison is practically useless. The best use I found for it was to put it after the Rhino in the signal chain, because with the dry signal blend on it seems you can trick the pedal into re-introducing the illusion of a clean bass tone underneath. Unfortunately the distortion on the pedal itself was still too extreme so I would add it to the Rhino only when I wanted to do some screaming harmonics (enhanced because of the high-end of the ODB).

13. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Just get an EBS Billy Sheehan drive. Nuff said.

14. There'a big difference in all the words on the ODB-3 in my mind. Those who've used it with a tube amp, and those that don't.
    IME, it's better with a tuber, but it's still not a super pedal.
    Either way, it's really a distortion...

I wouldn't buy either personally. Especially not the Boss.

If low-gain overdrive is what you're after, hunt down a Barbershop, Timmy, MI Audio Tubezone (my fave) or something else designed for a bass player like a VT Bass or Wampler Low Blow.
    Even if you're on a budget, buying a good pedal choice first will save you money in the long run, and most of these can be found second hand.

Bubby Brown likes this.
  15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Neither of these pedals will give you a warm overdrive. the boss odb-3 and the way huge green rhino is more suitable for a high-gain distortion. there are much better choices than those pedals. the voodoo lab sparkle drive and the way huge pork loin will give you a warm overdrive sound. and if money is no option, check out the darkglass vmt. that pedal can do warm overdrives as well.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    where do you buy the vfe triumvirate pedal? I've check out a bass demo of this pedal and it sounded pretty cool.

I like how this pedal sounds with the treble drive turned up. it gives it a nice heavy sound. pretty useful for rock and metal.