1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low gauge black nylons?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by OnlyMe, Mar 26, 2006.

1. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    I got a semi-accoustic 5-string (Washburn AB45) and I wanted to give the black nylon strings a try, to get that real warm, soft tone. So I got me a set of Rotosounds Tru Bass 885LD's. But when I put on the first string I noticed that they were gonna be waaay to thick for the Washburn.

The standard gauges for the 885LD's are 65-75-100-115-135

To be able to fit on my bass I think I need 45-65-85-105-130 and those are the absolute maximum. Ideally it would be a bit less than that.

Anyone knows a brand of strings that has low gauge black nylons? :help:

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Their 5-string nylon tapewound set is 45-65-85-105-130

3. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    Thanx for the advice, notduane. I'll keep Status Graphite in mind. But I found out that GHS also carries a low gauge black nylon tapewound set. They are 50-70-90-105-125

I'm gonna give them a try first, I think. I know the lower strings are .05 over what I stated, but that should be OK. I kinda preffer a 125 B-string. 130 theoretically goes, but it wasn't too comfortable putting the B-string on the bridge :p

Now I'm off to find a store/online shop that carries the GHS's in Europe...