1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low level on Aguilar DB-659 XLR output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unlined4string, Mar 21, 2005.

1. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I recently acquired a used Aguilar DB-659. The level of the XLR output is so low that I though at first it wasn't working at all. After reading the user manual and testing with several mic preamps and mixers, I now think it's probably working according to design.

The user manual says the DB-659 XLR out is mic (not line) level, spec'd at -40dB. This is useful for feeding a mic preamp, but useless for driving a power amp or any other input that wants to see line level.

Can any other D B-659 users confirm that my unit is/is not working properly?

Thanks!

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thats right. The XLR is meant for going into a mic pre only. Use the 1/4" out for feeding a power amp.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    unless you have to run a REALLY long cord from your preamp to your power amp, just stick with a really short unbalanced 1/4".

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yup, just go unbalanced to the amp. The XLR does work great into a mixing board, though. I just gigged with my 659/728 for the first time this weekend, and I was all smiles! :)