Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low level on Aguilar DB-659 XLR output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unlined4string, Mar 21, 2005.

1. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I recently acquired a used Aguilar DB-659. The level of the XLR output is so low that I though at first it wasn't working at all. After reading the user manual and testing with several mic preamps and mixers, I now think it's probably working according to design.

The user manual says the DB-659 XLR out is mic (not line) level, spec'd at -40dB. This is useful for feeding a mic preamp, but useless for driving a power amp or any other input that wants to see line level.

Can any other D B-659 users confirm that my unit is/is not working properly?

Thanks!

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thats right. The XLR is meant for going into a mic pre only. Use the 1/4" out for feeding a power amp.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    unless you have to run a REALLY long cord from your preamp to your power amp, just stick with a really short unbalanced 1/4".

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yup, just go unbalanced to the amp. The XLR does work great into a mixing board, though. I just gigged with my 659/728 for the first time this weekend, and I was all smiles! :)