1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

low..low..and deep..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by saved, Mar 16, 2013.

1. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    hi..i am looking for a new amp.that goes very low and deep.some times i drop down the LB string and i am not as hapy as i could be with the effect.so..any help please??

2. You need to be looking at the right cab. What's your budget, volume requirements, and size restrictions?

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1- most cabs don't really put out the deep lows. There are definitely amps that are "tighter" in the lower bass region too, but without a cab that can handle/reprduce the lows, whatever amp you have will just be wasting power reproducing them. Check out any of the threads on fearful cabinets to get more info on cabs that can actually dole out the low end- there are also many fearful inspired cabinets being made available these days with similar capabilities...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Ampeg SVT 410hlf is the lowest going commercial bass cab that I know of, followed by the 610hlf and the Portaflex series of cabs. Fearfuls can also be tuned quite low as well. They have to be special ordered but they're quite good as well, albeit a different vibe than the Ampeg cabs. But I've yet to hear a cab that goes as low as the 410hlf.

5. I Use the 410 hlf and like Jimmy said it gets pretty dang low for a commercial off the shelf cab.

6. Drop tuning the low B string is a silly hard ask for any bass cab. You need filtering such as fdeck HPF ( do a search) to kill the flabbing from 50 hz down, stuff that isn't bass tone, just a muddy speaker killing rumble.

As a point of refernence, the regular SVT 8x10 drops like a stone below 70hz. Until 5 strings became de rigueur it was the gold standard.

Some amps have an inbuilt filter to help out, most don't cut high enough though. In other words any and all amps go low enough.

7. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Jimmy...You're really not gonna defend hlf cabs are you?

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    ACME. Mail order.
    + also for SVT-410HLF and fEarful and its "cousins".

9. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Jimmy!

All fEARful cabs are tuned ~45-46.5 Hz and are awesomely capable in the low-lows, no additional "tuning" required.

http://www.jhawkcustoms.com/fearful12.htm
    http://www.jhawkcustoms.com/fearful15.htm

They are also awesome in the lows, lo-mids, mids, and hi-mids... :hyper:

You can order a standard spec cab in minutes from any of the authorized builders - you don't have to be "special". But if you want to be special they will accommodate custom touches, such as a Midnight Obsidian cab with Weathered Oxblood Baffle.

http://greenboy.us/

[​IMG]

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Please stop giving this advice. Many cabinets built today can handle fundamentals below 50hz. If a cabinet buyer is looking for low and deep, telling them to cut the fundamentals on basically everything below A1 is going in the wrong direction.

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    High passing around there is still a good ideal. I generally think a bit lower, but 50hz is going to cover most situations, I favour fancier cabs, but most trad sort of cabs are going to be right for 50hz. Availability of the fancy cabs isn't great in Greece.

12. Isn't a low B down in the low 30s?

13. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    In theory. In practice, that doesn't come out of speakers, and you can hear 5 strings fine on earbuds.

14. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It's not a theory. Low B is 30.868 hz and it does come out of the speakers in many cabinets, even though the harmonics might be louder

15. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Doesn't if you high pass sensibly. Which is better than supplying your speakers with inaudible frequencies that only contribute distortion and damage.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Only part of it, called the "fundamental". A big percentage of the note is made up of higher frequencies, which are the parts that most speaker cabs actually project well. When we hear all those higher parts, our brains add the lower part back in, so we hear the note even though most speaker cabs do a very weak job of projecting 30 Hz.

17. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Plus basses don't tend to have a pickup at the 12th fret where the fundamental will be picked up best.

18. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    30 hz is audible.

19. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you can reproduce it at a suitable SPL to hear it over all the other stuff going on, sure. Which isn't the situation with a standard bass rig with bass playing through it. You'll hear the distortion products you get trying to reproduce it though.

20. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe you could define a "standard bass rig" so that we could all understand.