1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

low mass bridge

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by cpaterso, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cpaterso

cpaterso Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2007
    hi - I saw Dave Young playing yesterday, and he has a 'low mass' bridge. meaning the wings (?) have been removed, allowing the string sound to go more directly to the bass. anyone have experience of this type of bridge? Dave sounded great, but then that might happen for him on ANY bass, with any bridge.

2. I'm told a wingless bridge makes the response brighter and peakier. Generally done on very dark old basses.

3. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I saw a Youtube Video by a guitar builder or sound engineer, can't remember which. He took the same bass, and measured the sustain of the strings on his bass under two conditions -- low mass bridge, and high mass bridge.

His conclusion was that mass of the bridge made no difference.

So much of what people think makes basses tick is "hype" in my view.

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    There are a couple of lengthy old threads discussing wingless bridges.

5. dkziemann

dkziemann Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    I just had this done as an experiment on my bass. To be honest, I didn't like it at all. The bridge had less mass overall and the whole instrument vibrated way too much. As stated above, it's better for dark basses. My bass is generally pretty bright and punchy, and this modification made it much too bright.