Low on Watts Power Amp – Good quality…

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Apr 15, 2005.

1. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Hi all!!! Once again I need your illuminated advice and insight…

Since it seems so popular around here I would like to build a rig with a Power Amp, some bass Pre-amp (probably, at this stage, a Bass Pod that I already have – not my favourite at all, but is what I have) and, of course, a bass cabinet.

However, I don’t need, at this time, all the watts that Stewart, QSC, etc. seem to give… I just want something that I can connect my Bass Pod (or a BDDI) and jam at home or for small venues (primarily jazz venues)… Probably something around 100 watts would be enough!!! And I don’t want to spend a lot of money on this, since I also have to but a cabinet… Despite this, quality and good sound is, for me, always an issue so no cut here….

The problem is that the choices for low watts PA seem to be very limited… Am I wrong? The only one that I have knowledge of is JBSYSTEMS VX200, but is this any good? Can it even be used for bass?

Well, as you can see I really need some help…

Sorry for this “romance”….

Thank you in advance!
    Best regards.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out QSC, Crown, Stuart, and Crest. You probabally aren't going to find much less than 400 watts though. I think Crown makes some lower power amps. They are all pretty equal in sound; it depends much more on your preamp for sound. Speaking of which, I don't think your POD is going to cut it. Try finding a good solid state preamp for Jazz. I don't play solid state much so I'm not familiar with most of the preamps but I'm sure there are people on the forum who can help you with that.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Take a look at the Hafler P-1000 or P-1500 amps. These are nice for studio monitoring duty as well. They're no cheaper than a lot of far more powerful amps though, although I've seen some good deals on used ones. :meh:
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    apparently the BDDI does not have enough output voltage to drive a power amp. Just for reference.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There are used Stewart World 1.2s that pop on ebay all the time. Pretty cheap for what you get, and only 1U.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  7. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

The Carvin amps seem to be a good deal. I would look into those too.

Even the higher power ones aren't very expensive.