1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low ouput from Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have been having a problem with my new (to me) SR. It seems to be putting out a weak signal (as compared to my SB2 and MIA P). I have to push up the gain to the point where my amp clips to get any decent volume. I have tried replacing the battery. Any other suggestions?

2. As a temporary fix, crank up your tone knobs on the bass...they are essentially gain knobs as well.

Something is wrong though. A volt/ohm meter on its guts will probably tell the tale. (I say this blindly as I have no idea how to troubleshoot bass electronics.;))

3. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    Low output and Stingray in the same sentence ? Something is very amiss here...

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    just checking: pickup not to low?

and since it's active: isn't there a trimpot inside the bass? maybe that's set to low?

5. Maybe worth trying another battery. Theres a small chance the new battery you put in was a dud?

And i agree with maybe raising the pickup a bit.

However, i wouldnt turn up all the 'tone' pots (otherwise known as the EQ . . . ) As while it might make it a little louder, it'll just mess with the tone of the bass.

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Must have been a problem battery. Replaced it and no problems since. :confused:

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Was it a 2 band?

8. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    3 band

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting. Well glad its all better :) You said the battery fixed it but your initial post said you tried replacing the battery to no avail?

10. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Once you set all controls flat, the Stingray isn't a hot output bass.
    Of al the basses I've had, both active and passive, the Stingray had the weakest output.

However this wasn't a real issue, tone was great and the signal was clean.
    I used to boost 70-80% the mids control, and it was a beauty.

I would never boost onboard lows or highs, because they're respectively too boomy and too glassy.

11. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I never liked the output levels of my EB Stingray. To me the problem was the preamp, stuffed it and now use a Bartolini preamp, and I am a happy camper.

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    My passive Fenders are louder than my Rays with the eq flat. I just turn up the volume on the amp for the Rays...

13. I think the generally lower output of the Stingray is to do with the impedence of the preamp (or so ive heard).

Glad it turned out just to be a did battery :)

14. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    THe only thing that makes sense is that he original replacement battery had a faulty terminal, since it would cut in and out. :confused: