Low Output Ashbory Preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bongolation, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Is it just me, or is the preamp on the Ashbory extremely weak, even with a new battery?

It has less output than a passive Precision.

This isn't a problem, but it's not far from being one...a curiosity, I suppose. When I bagged a B-100R (specifically for the Ashbory) this weekend, I noticed that I had to have the amp gain nearly pegged before the Ashbory produced clipping, and this was into the -0dB channel, not the attenuated "active input" one.

I've seen numerous actives with trimpots on the PCBs to raise or lower output, but after pulling the Ashbory's, I see it does not. Just a simple circuit running a TL071 OpAmp.

Anyone else ever notice this? Has it been a problem?

As always, thanks for any help.
  2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    no issue here, well not with the pre-amp. It's actually a bit loud in my case I thinks.
  3. My Ashbory is pretty strong, but it is one of the new Fender branded ones. It isn't the hottest output, but is far from the lowest in my stable.

On the plus side, you can pick up one of each color of the new version for about the price of an L-2000 or Stingray... ;)
  4. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Mine was rather quiet as well. I never really used it other than screwing around, but it certainly didn't help me wanting to.

5. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's probably just attributable to variations in components, or possibly the saddle seating of the piezo contact, no big deal.

As I said, it's not a problem. It sounds fine and has adequate output, it just seemed strange to me. I'm sure changing a resistor value somewhere on the board would also up the output if one knew which to monkey with.