1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Low Output at Live Gig?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by chaak, Jul 8, 2017.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Hello All,

A month back, I was asked by a friend guitar player to join him at a jam, which turned out to become a regular weekly gig. Ever since the first time I have been using my Radial JDI. I am using a Spector NS 5 bass and a couple of enhancing pedals. Anyway , the front of the house has been telling me that my bass has a low output showing and I have heard it for myself. Anyway yesterday he compensated by turning on the gain on my channel which i hated. I tried Bass and DI only and tried Bass > compressor > DI same
    the compressor input signal matches my dry signal and the output gain is boosted a bit (2 o'clock) it is in compression mode and with medium release.

i changed the battery on my onboard preamp . so anyway i dont know what the issue is and the sound guy looks like he has no clue about anything his mix is mediocre he sets everything up at the beginning and never adjusts or listens and in and work it out accordingly.

i am heavily making a lot of changes on my onboard EQ like constantly which puts me off as well.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Some active basses have an adjustable buffer in the cavity to gain match between active and passive instruments, or between active and passive mode. Check if yours has one. If so, it may just be turned too far down.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Similar problem here in past, using JDI. The Radial JDI has a known lower output than some other DI's. My group's soundguy has commented on low output from my active bass previously when using Radial JDI. It COULD be the input preamp on the board, but I've not confirmed this. Switched to using a Sadowsky DI and have no issues. Having said all this, don't assume that the JDI is the issue...I'm simply reporting what my experience has been.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm sure you've checked, but you didn't mention it so I'll ask: Is the "15 dB PAD" button in or out?

5. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    definitely in it's the only switch pushed in on the JDI , do I have to push the ground lift in as well ?

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unless I'm missing something, pushing in the -15 dB pad will reduce your signal by 15 dB. Try pushing it again to release that pad. That alone will increase your signal quite a bit.

How about your volume knob? Maxed out? Seems like a simple question but I thought we would at least cover it.

How is your signal into an amp? Plenty strong?

The ground lift has noting to do with signal strength.

7. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here

volume knobs 100% neck pickup 40% bridge pickup

no amp i'm going right into the JDI XLR to the mixing board.

thanks

8. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Using the pad switch might be your problem. Don't automatically use it just because you have an active bass. It should only be used if the output from the bass is distorting the input of the DI. My experience is that that my active basses are not that much hotter than my passive basses. I also think that a -15db reduction is too much to be useful.

I would try disengaging the pad. If your bass is then too hot for the DI, roll the volume down a little on the bass. One good thing about active basses is that the tone doesn't change as you roll the volume down, so you can set the bass volume to wherever it works best with your amplification equipment. You don't need to run the volume full up.

Gearhead17 and chaak like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah take out that pad and that Spector should be able to blow a hole in the mixing board. :D

Gearhead17, chaak and s0c9 like this.
  10. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    thanks a lot will do :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021