Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Output B String

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mike, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Dear Luthiers,

I have an older model, probably early 90's, Status 5 which I love overall except the output of the B string is a bit lower than the others. Is this indicative of the basses design as a whole or could a pick up or preamp replacement solve my problem and create a more balanced response?

Thanks for any input,

Mike Purdy

2. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    I don't know about that specific model, but the symptom points to a possible problem with the low B being at the edge or slightly outside the proper width for that pickup ...
    There are , for example, Bartolini pickups that are made with the coils extending nearer the pickup edge...with the measurements of the pickup size nad the string separation, you should be able to find one of their's that works better.

good luck

DAve P.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry to just jump in here, but you may also check inside the cavity of your bass for individual trim pots for string output. i know status is pretty out there as far as elex packages go, so it could be a possibility that this feature may be present in your bass. it may be that all you have to do is turn up the volume for that one string.