Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low output from 74 fender p bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gareth, Sep 10, 2004.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Just got this bass but the pups have very low output.

What can I do - have the rewound or new magnets?

Is it better just to get new pups?

Are they actually fender 74 pups as i don't know what these should look like - i do know that the distance between the plates of each pup seems smaller than on other (later) fender p basses i have.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I honestly can't tell if those are Fender pickups or not. IMHO they don't look very high quality, but maybe it's just the picture?

My advice;if you really want an awesome Fender tone from your precision, get a Nordstrand NP4. I have this in my 1999 MIM Pbass Deluxe. The stock "vintage style" pickup that was in that bass doesn't even compare to the Nordstrand IMO.

As for output, the Nordie has a lot of output! But whats really nice is that you don't lose any clarity.

They are a bit pricey-about $155-160 US dollars. I think it is money worth spending though, if you plan on keeping your Pbass. You can get them at www.blueberryhillbass.com(he is here as JPJ) Or, contact Brian at www.bestbassgear.com His service is excellent also, and his overseas shipping is probably very reasonable.

Hope that was helpful. :hyper:

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't know Fender pups very well and especially P's but you've got a code on there that looks like it ends with a 4 typical of a date code indicating '74 which lines up. Black and white leads typical of Fender.

Don't know what the output was originally but magnets can loose a lot over 30's years and it's my undestanding it's fairly cheap to get them remagnetized. I wouldn't touch the windings unless they're malfunctioning.

If you like the tone they've got then I'd followup on verification, output, and magnetizing them if needed. Or just crank up the volume if you've got the power.

If you don't like the tone then I'd guess you get more of what you don't want by having them magnetized.

At any rate, if you decide to move them down the road I'd probably take them off your hands once you get them verified.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

As an after thought - I assume you have isolated the volume issue to the pup - like playing another bass through the same rigging, cord, proper string height, etc., kind of thing.

But aside from having aged, most the older pups are low output by today's standards even when they were knew. At any rate, shouldn't be hard to find out what the output is supposed to be then measuring yours.

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought a '74 P-Bass (in 1981) with low output. I immediately repalced them with a Seymour Duncan passive and the probelm disappeared.

- JV