1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low output from MEC passive pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crusher47, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Not sure if testing correctly, I have my digital mult-meter set for Ohms...
    Neck pickup shows 2650 with pot all the way on. Pot turned off is 4.18
    Bridge pickup shows 2650 with pot all the way on. Pot turned off is 3.87
    Tone Pot shows 25.30 turned all the way on. Pot turned off is 2.6

2. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    What are you trying to accomplish?
    I could read my stock MEC MMs from each conductor, or from the stock 500k preamp pots for you to compare them to.

My stock tone pots are 100k, so there's an issue with the state of the repairs layout.

I could also read the SMB-5As I have, or the Big Man set that's coming. That won't tell you anything.

If you swapped his tone pots to 100k and volume/blend to 500k it should sound like a stock $$ provided his BEC2 is working 100%.

Again, a bunch of guys are replacing that setup bc stock tone pots don't seem much range and the sound of the BEC2 has been discussed ad nauseum as not the best.

3. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I swapped the pots to 500K and.............. Not much difference at all, if anything it sounds muddier now and no real increase in volume. I will swap the original pots back in later and looks like next step would be adding a pre-amp.

4. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    100k tone pots are what comes stock on a German $$.

Did you swap those as well as 500k volume and blend?

5. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm in the middle of installing nordstrand Big Man pickups in a 2007 German corvette $$ 4.

The pickups are wired backards to the dip switches from factory, bridge swapped with neck.

6. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Stock on mine are 25K pots. Yes, swapped all 3 with 500K pots.

7. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    My 2007 $$ doesn't have consistent grounding pot to pot like my 2005.

Neck pickup hole was drilled high so I had to remove the cover ring to get the pickup wire thru.

This in not an unusual thing with Warwicks, when you work on enough of them you just rip and replace bc repairing an afterthought seems like you aren't properly serving your customer.

8. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    I'd try wiring the pickups directly into the output jack before swapping pots. Are you sure the pickups are in phase?

9. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I've seen a couple pickups that were wired differently, they weren't MECs, but it happens.

10. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just wanted to update this thread for future readers, not sure what happened but when I installed the original pots back in, it sounds a little better/louder. I thought maybe I was imagining things but I installed a decibel meter app on my phone and tried it along with my Fender Jazz and the sound outputs are very similar. I know it's not an exact science but I'm happier with the results either way. I don't know if it was maybe a cold solder joint originally or I touched something inside to "fix it" or what. Either way, I'm going to keep it as is for now. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, I appreciate it!

Domespeed and Flippy like this.