Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-output pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by appler, Apr 17, 2004.

1. appler

appler Guest

Hi, everyone. I tried searching for something like this but I didn't find anything. I recently got a used Fender Jazz that came with Bartolini pickups, I don't know which. The bass seems to have had a preamp in it before (taken out before I bought it) -- the control plate and knobs have been replaced and there's an extra output jack that had been drilled into the side of the body that I'm going to fill in. The bass itself is very quiet, quieter than any jazz I've played before. Has Bartolini ever made pickups that are designed to go along with an onboard preamp? Thanks a lot for any help, guys. :D

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Go to Bartolini.net. But any pups can be used with on onboard or outboard preamp. If you have active pups, then you have to have a battery to get sound. Bartolini does make some active pups, but mostly passive. The back of the pups will have the model number of the pups etched into the backing plate. You shouldn't have any trouble getting at least average output from a Bart pup unless it's too far from the strings to pick up a decent signal.

3. appler

appler Guest

Thanks, man. I guess I'll take the pickups out and find out which model they are. My question was more, "Has Bartolini ever made pickups designed only to be used with an onboard pre"

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi appler, I think the answer to your question is "yes". You could try e-mailing Pat, he's pretty responsive to inquiries like this. You might also try asking him whether he can still provide one of the original "correct" preamps.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    It will be interesting to hear Pat's response cause I would say probably not. All of their active pups have preamps built-in as do other manufacturers to my knowledge. No doubt their's consideration regarding compatibility with their own passives but they have to be able to stand on their own as well. Logically I'd think more consideration would be geared toward getting their preamps to work with their pups, not the other way around. Regardless, I've installed lots of Bart pups and preamps and never witnessed anything that would indicate any of their pups favoring or responding antagonistically to a preamp.

If he doesn't post and you hear from him, I'd appreciatie a post to know what he knows.