Low output Trace Elliot Tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david_l_perry, Jun 11, 2003.

1. I tried out a friends Trace Elliot cab (2x10 + high frequancy Horn 8ohm 200w) To see if I liked it for rehearsals. (I am looking for a compact rig to leave at the rehearsal studio to save my back from carrying my SWR rig)

The Horn had no or very little output even with the attenuator turned up full.There is only a very slight change in tone when the attenuator is changed.

My first thought is that the Diaphram may be blown, but upon inspection the coil looked fine (I have had experieance in replacing blown coils on both PA drivers and an old Peavey 4x10TX)

From all my previous experienace (My current SWR, old Ampeg, Peavey etc) all of the horns blast out ear biting highs if the attenuator is turned up (I would always Normally keep the attenuator set at Mid way - 12 o'clock).

The Guy has had it from new and been running it as an extension cab with a Trace Elliot 1x15 combo.

Low level Hiss can be heard coming through the horn as you would expect but no real volume.

Anybody any ideas ?
    Could it be that the coil is on its way out but just does not show any visable signs ?

Cheers, Dave