Low output. What can it be?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by unity bass, Jul 5, 2005.

1. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I plugged in for an outdoor gig tonight and quickly decided to return my custom built "baby" to its case. I didn't want to sweat all over it! I plugged in my backup that is equipped with Seymour Duncan PJs and pre. Woah! I had to turn down the amp due to a significant difference in output.

So, my no. 1 bass has Arero soapbars and a Bartolini preamp. It sounds awesome, but should there be that much difference in output? The Aeros are about 1/8" to 5/32" from the string (set up by the builder) so I don't think it's a problem with the height. (maybe it is though).

Are there other factors involved like resistors or capasitors or something? (If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, that's because I don't). I'm just hoping for a solution other than "replace your pickups" or "replace your Preamp". Is there anything I can do or is this just the way it is?

Thank you to anyone who can help me here,
  2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    check inside the cavity control. On top of the preamp (black rectangular box) there should be a small blue trim pot. It's the output control (gain) on Bartolini pre. You can try to tweak it and see if you can match, or get close, to the level you need. Hope this helps.
    [edit. have you checked the battery?]

3. Some basses have a higher output than others, and if both of yours play, without distortion, when you have the gain set up right, then there is nothing wrong. The only time this is likely to be a problem is when you want to change basses half way through a set. At that point, you need to think about whether you turn down the volume on the louder bass, or get a two channel preamp.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I'd bet it's that your first bass is much louder rather than your second bass being much quieter!
    Although check the battery thing too :)
  5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    OK, thanks guys. I'll switch out the battery just to be sure. Then I'll look to the trim pot for adjustment and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate your help.