1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low-pass filter or EQ pedal to use with Boss LS-2 and OD?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zenyatta, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Zenyatta

Zenyatta

Jun 28, 2017
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've recently begun my exploration into the world of pedals and have a setup that works pretty well, but I'm wondering if I could tweak it just a bit more. My goal is to maintain the low-end of my bass while using my OD and/or fuzz to distort the highs and mids.

Right now, I'm running my bass into a Boss LS-2 and using it to blend a clean signal with my dirty signal (produced by a Greedtone OD and a Green Russian replica kit build) but I'm still having to compromise between low end and dirt. I had the thought that I could add either a low-pass filter or an EQ pedal to my clean loop, cut the high and mid frequencies, and then blend that with the dirt, but I'm not sure if it will help that much. Have any of you done something like this, or know how it will sound? In addition, would I be better off with a low-pass filter or an EQ pedal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Maybe the dirty signal is out of phase? Try a different dirt pedal, just to check. THEN, if it's indeed a phase problem, look into an EQ or LPF....or, just get a dirt box that has some sort of EQ, and cut the lows on that signal only (most phase issues are heard in the low end first).

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    My guess is it would be more effective to place an EQ after the dirt instead and then boost some of it's low mids and cut some of the high frequencies to shape the dirt in a darker direction.

Not to mess with your preferred amount of dirt but I get a nice fuzz sound from just blending in a little fuzz and a lot of my clean sound, but then again the whole thing does run through a tube preamp in the end possibly adding a little extra dirt to both the clean and fuzz tone anyway as the fuzz most likely drives it into overdrive territory.

Instead of investing in additional pedals to make your current drives sound better maybe you could concider other types of drive all together as an option as well.

I get a big heavy hard hitting distortion sound with a satisfying amount of lows out of running my Joyo California Sound (originally a dead cheap analog Mesa Boogie amp emulation pedal intended for guitar) with the drive all way up without any form of clean blend, also you might not believe me but try to check Tech 21 GT2 guitar preamp out on YouTube, Behringer makes a clone, the GDI21 that almost is a perfect match tone wise, dead cheap, it works beautifully as a bass distortion as well, again without loosing much, if any, low end:

Actually I know for a fact that Justin Chancellor from Tool actually uses a Tech 21 GT2 as part of his dirt tone.

Both the Behringer and the Joyo can be had for just about 100$, and that is for the both of them together!

For a more light OD type thing you might want to look into the Joyo American Sound as well, same story, dead cheap and very little, if any, low end loss, also originally intended for guitar as a Fender amp emulation.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I put up a similar thread recently and got a heap of replies suggesting theses awesome expensive pedals that are unreachable to me in the near future. I did do a trial using a boss odb-3 in clean mode, turned the Highs down all the way and the low up and volume to suit. I chucked this in 1 loop of the ls2 as my clean lows and had my dirt in the other loop. I must say I definitely preferred the sound of this to just blending the whole signal in. It also seemed to have more balls in the low department but haven't tried it in a mix yet. Good luck if you can find a lpf option but if not, eq still seems to be a decent alternative.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's a legit idea. The dude who runs Amptweaker Pedals says he does something like that in his pedals. You only get the clean lows in his pedals, and he cuts them off at a certain frequency and the highs and mids are distorted. He says that without the clean highs and lows, you get less chance of phasing issues that can plague some pedals when you use their clean blend.

Me, I find it much easier just to seek out pedals that don't require any blends, but while you can find tricked out bass versions of most pedals that don't require blends these days, it does cut down your choices. For a low pass filter, I use one made by Broughton (his SN on here is Azure Skies), and it cuts from 16K to 160 hz. If you need one to go lower, he also does custom builds and could probably do it for you. I use it to knock off tweeter highs in the PA, so I don't need it to go that low, but from what I know, people using it for your purposes may want a lower rolloff point, like closer to 100hz.

BTW, I have a Greedtone OD as well, except mine is a clone tweaked for bass. Killer pedal.

6. Musky Bandit

Musky Bandit

Aug 30, 2016
    I have tried this using and LS-2 (A/B Mix Mode), my modded Rat in one loop, and an MXR 10-band EQ in the other loop (what I had on hand at the time). Roll off mids and highs on the EQ, then back the Filter control of the Rat down to cut most of the bass from the distortion side. It makes for a super tasty dirt sound!

The only issue you may have with blending clean with your dirt external to the pedal is phase issues, usually making it sound like a loss of low end. Certain dirt pedals invert the phase, and there's no really easy way to know unless you analyze the schematic or just test it out.

I've also done something similar with my Pork Loin, using the internal Filter control to roll off the highs from the clean side. Combined with the C34 mod to brighten up the overdrive, it kind of gets you where you want to be as far as clean lows with dirty highs.

7. I ran an LS-2 loop for a while. I had my GGG Red Llama and a GE-7. It worked well, but I felt it was cumbersome. Ended up with an MXR Bass Distortion, which is a Fuzzrocious RAT with a clean blend. Bought a DOD Boneshaker when they were on sale a few months ago and have been using it since (it's on sale again through this weekend). While it doesn't have a clean blend, it handles the distorted lows so well, it doesn't need it. Kinda can't go wrong for $50.

8. I'm not familiar with those overdrive pedals, but if they have a tone knob, try making the overdrive brighter or more trebly and then use less of that signal. It might have a similar overall result because you'll use more of the clean with will preserve the bass. It's worth a shot.

9. Zenyatta

Zenyatta

Jun 28, 2017
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks so much everyone for such in-depth replies, wow! There's a lot to digest here, you've all given me a lot of options to consider. What a great community!

How exactly is it tweaked for bass? This interests me.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know exactly what was done, but it has excellent low end response and a switch that gives it a slight boost if you need it, plus it has another 3-way switch that gives you the full range sound, a sound with the lows and highs rolled off to simulate an SVT 810e's frequency response, and a sound with a darker highs rolloff that sounds more like one of the B-15's from the 70's. It's pretty darn ingenuous. The guy who did it is on here...his name is johnk_10. He has a hobby of building pedals out of schematics, and he's literally built thousands of them, but he usually only builds a couple of each at a time and occasionally sells off his excess pedals, and I snagged mine that way. I've been using it up until about 3 months ago when Ampeg sent me their new Scrambler pedal. I still dig the Greedtone a lot but the Scrambler just hits me in a certain way that I really love.

And no, I'm not selling it :D

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020