1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low pass filter such as xerograph

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theunknowndude, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I usually dislike filters as can't see it being used in my bands metal/ hard rock genre but after coming across the xerograph demos on YouTube liked the idea of it combined with fuzz/distortion... think I may have just missed out on it on the IE shop though! Are there any small boxes similar?? Looked at the bit quest but a few reviews said it's not quite the same as a xerograph (and as much as I like the bitquest not sure if it will be too fiddle for me to decide on a setting!)

I have octave up/ detune chorus in my boss PS3 or ceb3, all dirt covered and reverb / mini bass Wah are ok to accentuate but just looking for that one crazy thing to add still... bit crusher is too far but the xerograph looked awesome for low pass crazy

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Not much else in the same box size as good as the Xerograph, spring for the Deluxe because you can use the triggered sweep for much more than funk. When I play a heavy tune the XD is always on for me, taming and adding dynamics to the bite of the fuzz / drive, or adding some low end rumble.

theunknowndude likes this.
  3. Thanks man, doh fear I may have just missed the last one from the shop... may keep by eyes peeled on reverb / sale section here and hope people don't mind sending to oz. all cashed up and no pedal to buy seems to be my thing lately, find out about them too late hah!

4. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    The latest version of the XeroDlx is fantastic with the second footswitch to bypass the sensitivity setting, giving you a straightup resonant lpf on the fly. Got mine used from the classifieds here, earlier this year. Amazing pedal, highly recommended.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    The new Micro Tron III has an LPF with expression control, that could be a contender.

Obvious suggestion is the daddy, the Moog MF-101, but if you're put off by its size, I don't blame you!

Source Audio Manta can do the job also, as well as the fuzz side, with presets chucked in for good measure.

The two EBS wah pedals have lowpass modes too which might be worth considering, especially since they can take up less space than a filter plus expression pedal.

I want a Moog style LPF in a 1590A box, pedal builders please take note!

alecduncan likes this.
  6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I'm super into my XeroD. But if you missed them, don't care about an envelope and are interested in bitcrushing, the Malekko Scrutator seems like a good fit. I have one and found it to be very usable as a sweepable filter.

Hoyt and theunknowndude like this.
  7. Yeah been looking at the scrutator for ages but not sure how many times bit crushing can be used in a metal band to justify it being on my band board... I should set up a play board again and just get the scrutator hah!

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Go for it. I like setting it as a resonant lpf with some slightly degraded signal making the top end kind of crunchy on the high end of the sweep. Can also be used as a really ugly subsynth if you crank down the sample rate and bump the q on the lower frequency range of the filter. Lots of sounds in that box.

9. I think you have me sold, thanks for the suggestion

10. Update - jus ordered one which should be here in a few days!... been on my radar ever since someone suggested it to months ago. May still get a xerograph deluxe when they come back in stock as well because you know, why not have both!

11. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    So, sorry to piggyback your thread, but I've been on the mad hunt for a great LPF envelope follower. Tried the Moog a while ago and it's bypass sucks. I had a Strymon Möbius which sounded quite good, but I didn't use much else on it. Currently have the 1st version Xerograph Deluxe and it sounds really great. I just have a problem with how sensitive it is to input changes as well as how sensitive the knobs are, like a half mm turn completely changes the action of the pedal. This makes it very difficult to dial in a sound as well as finding it again if things get changed. Also adding an octaver in front of it makes the sensitivity change and I have to adjust again.

Is there anything else to look at? Does the v2 fix any of this maybe?

12. That's interesting to know... maybe deluxe helps fix this?

As I don't like envelope filters I ended up getting the scrutator and whilst not having used it with expression pedal yet it is so versatile even just using it as a fixed filter befor even messing with but crushing and sound reduction stuff. Main thing I wanted xerograph for was that long slow throaty resonance which it does seem to excel at though.

Any other xerograph users can chip in to help @adamaarts or myself on Xero questions??

13. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    The great strength in the XD is its sensitivity. The two ranges provided accomplish solo many options.

A few tricks for its input can help greatly - compression / light dirt and technique. These two things go a looooong way to influencing how the filter's sensitivity can be set, and impact how changes (like an octaver) can have on the input.

Master controlling the input, and you have such a cool filter, one that you don't need presets for, just technique.

Thereof button version does have some refinements that make it easier to use, but as some others ahve experienced, at a loss of tone. That's always a subjective thing especially with filters, because so much rides on the sensitivity setting. Might be worth testing one tho.

Jakeman likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021