Low Pass Filter suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Oct 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I've been working on a setup to do the Royal Blood thing, split a bass signal and get both guitar and bass sounds out of it. Right now what I have is an EHX MicroPOG, run the bypass output to my bass pedalboard and then to the bass amp; I crank the octave up to max, turn the dry and octave down to zero, and run the effected line to a small guitar pedalboard (tuner - > Tubescreamer -> Delay -> amp).

The problem I want to solve is the synthy "chirp" you get from the MicroPOG. To cover it and make it sound like a guitar, I have to crank the gain on the TubeScreamer, which sounds OK for what I'm doing for now but costs a lot of note definition.

So I'm in the local GC yesterday and they have a full POG2 and it occurs to me to try and see if it makes the same octave-up "chirp" the MicroPOG does. It does - but I find it has a low-pass filter built in, and when I set that around half or so it tames the chirp a lot, really approaches the signal I want. However, it doesn't have the MicroPOG's bypass output, so it can't serve as an XY the way the smaller pedal does.

So I figure option 1 would be to sell the MicroPOG, and buy a POG2 and an XY. But it occurs to me (option 2) it might be more cost-efficient if there's an affordable free-standing low-pass filter pedal on the market I could just add to the effected chain after the MicroPOG. However, searches aren't really turning up much. A Moogerfooger is too expensive to be a cost-efficient solution. There's the EHX Knockout, but I'm not sure it really does what I'm looking for - or does it? Any other ideas? Would just an EQ pedal roll out those highs and do the same thing?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Broughton LPF by @Azure Skies is well liked around here, and very reasonably priced.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, I'll shoot him a PM! Any other suggestions?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aguilar Octamizer is a fantastic low pass filter, and fully adjustable. Just turn down the octave signal if you don't want it.

Fairfield Barbershop is another, but not fully adjustable. It has three settings for low pass...none, some, and more.

5. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Interesting...

you're saying that the "clean tone" knob is just a LPF? Do you have any idea of it's parameters? (slope, freq-range?)

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes I think it was the clean tone knob, and that's exactly how I used it..as a low pass. I don't know the specs though and I don't have the pedal anymore so I'm just going by memory. I kinda discovered it worked that way on accident and I really liked the old school thump it provided. I never really even used the octave function on that pedal :)

edit: I hope I'm remembering right, anyway. This is from Aguilar:
    The Octamizer's Octave Filter control is a multi-pole low-pass Filter that lets you shape the octave sound from smooth and deep to edgy and aggressive.

From that it sounds like it's the Octave Filter knob and it only controls the octave filter, but like I said I only used it 'clean' without the octave. It says the 'clean tone' is a tilt EQ so I may be misleading you. Wish I still had it so I could check it, but it may be worth picking one up to try if you can get a good price or a good return policy...like from Amazon.

ProfFrink likes this.
  7. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    That's going to be too complicated in my part of the world, but I may just have the nerve to waltz into a shop that keeps them with a laptop, audio-interface, and a frequency analyzer to check this :)

In any case, keep the suggestions coming. I'm also interested in this...

8. hertmntpizza97

hertmntpizza97 Inactive

Oct 24, 2015
    Los Angeles Area (TMZ)
    You can just put a tone pot in line :yawn:

9. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Get a HOG it has a direct out and a filter. It does a whole lot moe too!!

A passive tone pot (pot & cap) would work & be cost effective. Otherwise an EQ pedal at a good price might help, but I would go parametric for this.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021