1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Pass Filter

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by James Willie, Aug 6, 2016.

1. James Willie

James Willie Serious Business

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    I have a small cabinet, used for a portable practice amp. It has one 15 inch speaker. I read where a
    low-pass filters can be used to remove any unwanted higher harmonic information.
    Should I use a filter capacitor to improve the speakers performance?

Spec Graph.jpg

Above is a graph from the speaker spec sheet.
    Below is the capacitor circuit.

do not use.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. geshel

geshel Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Whoever gave you that circuit should be unfriended. It's a high-pass circuit and will cut the bass. Also, it shows a polarized capacitor which is not appropriate.

Also, this post would be better served in the Amps and Cabs forum.

wcriley, mech and Frenchy-Lefty like this.
  3. James Willie

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks geshel. I will re-post it there. I am just trying to figure what, if anything I should do with a single speaker in a cabinet. Does it need a capacitor or not? Thanks

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    For the vast majority of people regular old tone controls in our amps and/or basses do the job perfectly well. What is your situation that makes you feel the need for a passive first order low pass filter at speaker level?

TLDR version: if you have to ask you probably don't need it

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  5. James Willie

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Passinwind, thanks for the reply. I am just looking for to upgrade. Improve my playing and my rig anywhere possible. It is the one percent rule. (not achievable) which says: you should improve yourself 1% every day.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your speaker already acts as a low pass filter. To me, LPF's are better used in PA systems, where if you run a DI, it will likely run full frequency range up to 20 khz, so you'd use an LPF to knock it back down to 4 or 5K like your speaker does.

iiipopes likes this.
  7. James Willie

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    These are the answers I was looking for. I did an exhaustive Google search, but didn't really get it, until now. Thanks.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I agree with Passinwind and JimmyM. If you want more truncation than the physical characteristics of a 15-inch speaker, just turn down the treble on the amp or the tone on the instrument. If the trace in the opening post is of the driver that is being considered, then notice the natural rolloff. Any treble cut will take care of the spike above 5kHz.

Remember, you don't want too much roll off, because you need some overtones to make sure you are articulate and present out front in the mix, whether your rig is carrying the house, or if there is either a mike or d.i. from the rig to the house mains carrying the load.

ctmullins and JimmyM like this.
  9. I installed a switchable low pass filter in my 15 cab but it isn't supposed to be a full range speaker. I use it with a couple of different top boxes, one of which (my old Eden 210) is quite midrangey. being able to roll off the treble and upper mids from the 15 gives the pair just the right response for me.

the other top box I use (aguilar light weight 12) is very scooped in the mids, so I switch off the filter for this combo.

if memory serves, the filter is simply an LC low pass. (actually it may even just be an inductor on its own, it was a few years ago I did this.) I wound the inductor myself. I may have some photos somewhere...

10. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I always interested in seeing how other people approach those sort of configs, as I have built and enjoyed quite a few top box implementations myself. That's a much different thing than what the OP asked about though, of course.

11. James Willie

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    I would be interested on how you did this. Winding my own coil would be very cool. Thanks

12. I found some photos, but not of my 15 cab. This was another little project. This has a simple cross-over (one cap, one inductor) and a horn attenuator. The coils are wound on plywood formers with a piece of copper clad circuit board with two solder pads "dremelled" on it. Use an online inductor calculator for the sizes, then drill an inner hole for the start of the coil. Winding by hand with such heavy guage winding wire, you'll need to paint some super glue across the coil every few layers to keep it all tight. It's quite hard work keeping it all neat and tight. Your fingers will be sore at the end! Near the edge, drill a second hole, thread, then solder the outer end of the coil. Oh, and you'll need to scrape the coating off the wire to solder. It won't burn through like pickup wire.

20131024_181304.jpg 20131024_194511.jpg

As you can see, the 0.56mH inductor has a single hole through the middle to be mounted with a bolt through the metal plate in the speaker box.

20131025_210841.jpg

The 0.9mH was the one I used for the 15 cab. It has two holes and IIRC was mounted with self tappers into the timber frame of the speaker box. The little red thing on top is simply a join. I ran out of wire from one spool and instead of starting again, I drilled to exit holes right next to one another, stripped, twisted, soldered, insulated, then glued the join in place.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Passinwind likes this.
  13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Cool, thanks. For those playing along at home, a number of software apps have inductance measuring facility these days, including Room EQ Wizard, which is freeware. You just need a decent soundcard and a pretty simple reference jig. Lots of people using commercially available coils start high and de-wind to get custom values.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021