1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low pass filters that 'womp!' (calling John Davis and fightthepower!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I just bought a WMD Fatman because of the awesome low pass 'womp!' it can make like in John Davis' clip here:

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/BASSSESH/WMDFATMAN.mp3

Now, it does the 'womp!' really well, but to me it's the only sound I can get out of it that I like. The womp sounds Awesome going into a fuzz or overdrive (try it if you haven't, John!), but disappointing when placed afterwards, it's like the filter is so intense and acts over a limited sweep that most of the fuzz character is lost.

I was kind of hoping I could get it to do something similar to the Moog MF-101 like in this clip (from fightthepower) but it doesn't even come close:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7403635

Now while I like both of these sounds, if I had to choose one, it would be the Moog + expression pedal. I feel like the Fatman is too expensive to hang on to for the one sound I like from it... although it would be pretty cool to run them in parallel.

Can anyone tell me if the Moog, or any other cheaper alternatives can get a similar 'womp!' sound out of it?

2. The clip of the fatman sound like it was on two setting in that clip didnt it? In the beginning there was the lower womp sound and the end was with that rythmic, detuned kind of womp sound.

Either way, it kind of depends on what your looking for. Both of those sound on the fatman aren't gonna be exactly right on the moog LPF, so it depends on whether you wanna keep the fatman around or not. Are you sure the second clip is just a LPF? It sounds like there is at least one other effect going on in the bass, I can't place my finger on what. There is a slow chorus I believe near the end for that analog sounding sweep noise.

Personally I'd probably keep both for a little until I see which is more useful, but thats entirely dependent on whether you have the money to put into that kind of thing.

I do know for a fact that the fatman should sell in a heartbeat on these forums, people were going nuts when that first clip was posted.

3. For the record a Moog LPF would probably sell like crazy on here too! I for one have been introduced to the Moogerfooger world with my new FreqBox...

Brian

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Something to keep in mind - I'm pretty sure both of those clips have an octaver used in them. I can't say for sure, but listening to John's clip it sounds like he has the OC-2 (set full at 1Oct) and the Mammoth running into the FatMan. And I believe ftp's clip is the Pollyanna into the Moog Low Pass.

For reference, the Moog LPF and nothing else will simply sound like an autowah if you go up and down on the expression pedal while playing. As always, I'll freely admit that my electronics knowledge is limited, but I always thought that "whomp" was when the cutoff of the filter was hitting the resonance of the fundamental of your note.

For synthy sounds the fuzz really SHOULD be going into the LPF. I believe the reason it is "swallowed up" is that most of the fuzz "character" is in the higher frequencies and so the low pass filters them out until you open it up fairly high. But the bonus is that it also shapes your fundamental into more of a square wave which gives it a synthy sound.

For that reason, I'd be interested in hearing something like the MXR Blowtorch into the LPF. Because its fuzz is designed to mainly/only affect the mid frequencies, I'd assume that you wouldn't even tell the fuzz was on until you swept past a cutoff frequency of 250 Hz, 750 Hz or 2000 Hz depending on where you set the "Mid Shift" switch.

If you like the sound without the octaver's synthy tone, a cheap solution would be the DOD FX25. You'd roll the sensitivity back and play just hard enough for the filter to ALMOST open when you play. This takes some technique work and testing to get the hang of. It has a different character than the FatMan (or my new 00Funk etc) but it will "whomp". If you want extra synthyness, get a used OC-2 and run a fuzz you already have between it and the DOD.

You can likely get both the Boss and the DOD for a little over $100 total.

Hope that helps. And anyone with more understanding, feel free to correct any technical errors I made.

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Johns clips sounds like he had the fuzz on for a second in the beginning, but then the end of the clips just OC2+Fatman. My clip was pollyanna-lpf-and a slow flange- Im sweeping the lpf with an exp pedal, and you can hear the flange doing its thing when I open the filter.

Dannybouy- For the whomp, I use the Grinder and Prometheus- The Prometheus doesn't have nearly as much control as the Grinder or Fatman, but it can approximate that whomp sound you're describing very closely, though maybe not quite as much bottom to it (it certainly isn't losing any bottom though, sounds good). The Grinder can nail the tone as well with the filter color rolled off a bit, but it's more expensive than the Fatman. With an exp you can get kind of close the sound of the LPF in 4pole, though even a bit smoother/cleaner, and I used the 2pole filter in that clip posted above, which allows a bit more to pass through. If you wanted a filter that could get close to both of those clips, the Grinder will get you closer than anything else I've tried

Envelope filters are basically just resonant eq's to my understanding, so as BigO pointed out, you're only going to hear as much fuzz as you're letting through- For a low whomp where the filter barely opens, you won't hear much of the fuzz with any filter. In my clip you can hear/feel some of the texture when the filter is closed because Im using a squarewave octave, so to the best of my knowledge, the fundamental as well as the top are squared so you're still hearing a little crunch even when no highs are getting through. Also, the moog lpf has a switch for 2 or 4 pole filter- I used the 2pole side which lets a bit more of the higher freqs pass through when the filter is closed. For my application at least, I generally use fuzz's to simulate wave shaping, and use the filter to smooth out the harshness- I want the filter to swallow up most of the fuzz.

I would think something the guyatone octaver might be right up your alley, as it's a squarewave octaver, and should sound grittier going into the fatman than say an oc2+fuzz since the fundamental is squared (i think thats how it goes).

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Thanks for the replies so far. The Meatball clones or even the Robot Factory Photron would probably work for me, but these filters ain't cheap!

I too thought that first clip was OC-2 -> Fatman, but I was surprised to find that it sounds that way with just the bass and the Fatman - it's the filter that makes it sound synthy. I have a Nocto Loco kit on it's way which should get me the Pollyanna sound for my basic wave generation.

And I'll have to do clips of the Fatman before distortion!

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Yep, the nocto would definitely do the trick. I think one of the meatball clones would work for you since you're not really diggin' the Fatman. It sounds like you would prefer something a little funkier that can do synthy when it needs to. The Grinder also has an onboard clean blend, so you could dial in something a little more extreme to compensate for the blend, and blend in a little of the 'clean' fuzz'd signal.

I have a photron filter on the way, so I'll let ya know how that one works out. :hyper:

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Yeah, that has a 'ghost wah' feature... AKA the 'womp!' switch!

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Also, has anyone tried out the lowpass on the EBS wahs? If that could get the sound of the second clip I posted, but be cheaper and smaller than a Moog and expression pedal, it would be well worth checking out!

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I'm pretty sure the 'ghost wah' switch is actually the opposite, and that ghost notes are when the envelope shoots opens real high with a whispy sound on the way up and down.

I haven't tried the ebs wahone, but I was holding out for the Stanwah before I got the fooger because I didn't want to deal with the bad bypass.. and basically just to be different and not use the moog lpf heh. Im glad I got over that because the lpf is doing it's job nicely. Im still very interested in what the Stanwah will sound like, but it won't be replacing the lpf despite the appealing size and boosted bandpass mode.

11. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    the FatMan definitely gets the WOMP! and not much else... i have had some success with fuzz and other pedals before it, but i have my signal split after my OC2 so that the key input to the FatMan is always clean, no matter what fuzz or noise type processing is happening...

john

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Yeah, I tried a splitter adapter so I could have the Mammoth into the Fatman but with a clean trigger. Sounded good. But the Womp! going into the Supercollider sounds like the bassline in Bad Company's Alien Girl! :D

A great chain that I would love to try out would be:

Bass -> Boss LS-2

Loop A: Nocto Loco -> Moog MF-101

Loop B: OC-2 -> Volume Pedal -> Fatman