1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low power 2x10 Cabinet for Peavey Minx 110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeoKinetic, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Hi, I recently bought the head from a disassembled 1995 Peavey Minx 110. I'm now trying to find a 2x10 cabinet to pair it with, but in reading up, I've seen information that a cabinet should have a lower power rating than the head you pair it with. According to the manual, this is a ~30 watt amplifier. Is there anything with a rating like this? Is having this in my criteria even necessary, or should I just grab whatever 2x10 I can get.

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    A 30 watt head will make a "bass noise" thru any 210 cab. The more efficient the cab is, the more you'll get out of it. And being 2 10's, it should be noticeably louder than your 1-10.

Edit: I just looked at the manual. It's a bit unclear but looks like the amp wants to only see an 8 ohm load so be sure your new cab is 8 ohms.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    GeoKinetic likes this.
  3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by cab efficiency, can you elaborate?

4. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    A speaker's sensitivity determines how efficient or loud a speaker will get with a given amount of power. A speaker with a sensitivity of 99dB will belouder than one with 92dB. Here's an explanation lifted from the web:

A sensitivity rating tells you how effectively a speaker converts power (watts) into volume (decibels). The higher the rating, the louder your speakers will play with a given amount of amplifier power. Sensitivity is often measured by driving a speaker with one watt and measuring the loudness in decibels at one meter.

Many manufacturers publish their sensitivity rating so you can look it up but sadly not all do.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Anything. It's 30 watts. 110, 112, 210, 115 whatevers cheap and close to you. Like noted, as long as its an 8 ohm bass cab you're good.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You read wrong.
    Get any 8 ohm 2x10 bass cab you can afford. You won't be able to find one you can damage with the guts of a Minx or that will damage your amp.

GeoKinetic likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You definitely read wrong. You can hook it to a 5000 watt cab if you want to. It's just a thermal power rating.

GeoKinetic likes this.