1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low power first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jellywerker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jellywerker

jellywerker

Mar 6, 2008
    Seattle
    I've got a rather unique problem. My brother absconded with my amp, so I am looking to get a new one, however, I live in a 1920's era house which had its wiring installed in the 1940's or so. I have a single outlet in my room, and already run all my light, computer, etc... off of it. The breaker in the part of the house is prone to flipping off if I use the dishwasher or laundry machine and my space heater at the same time, so I'm not thinking I have much power load left to spare, even if I stop the heater. So I am looking for a pretty low power amp that has good range and tone, specifically for practicing. I don't see myself playing with anyone else soon, and if I do, I can always buy a bigger amp for gigs. So I don't need loudness, just good sound.

Any ideas?

2. A Nemesis 8 might do the trick for you. It's got good tone, and it's low power.

3. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
  4. +1 on the ampeg.

they definitly lack volume but as you said that isnt a problem for you as it will be a practice amp. They have a good sound to them so it sounds like what you are looking for.

5. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I use a Crate BT-25 bass combo amp. I got one for $99 at www.musiciansfriend.com but it seems they don't have them in stock right now.

6. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I disagree - when I had a BA112, I could piss a lot of people off with it if I wanted to. :)

7. jellywerker

jellywerker

Mar 6, 2008
    Seattle
    That's a little pricy for me, but looks to be about perfect for what I want. Do you think it should be too hard to find one used?

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm currently running an Epiphone Valve Junior through an Avatar SB112.

5 Watts Tube. No, it has no real tone controls, but my BDDI takes care of that. Paid $120 for the head, $200 for the cab and $100 for the BDDI.

9. Them Valve Juniors are really cool for the money. We A/Bed one for guitar with some sort of Line 6 modeling head thing and it wasn't even close. Zero clean headroom of course, but cool for recording. And a surprisingly loud guitar amp through a Marshall 4x12, if you don't need clean.

10. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah the Ampeg will work, but the only Ampeg I would buy for a practice amp is the b100r. Go ahead and look for a used SWR or Peavey combo depending on your budget and what kind of deal you can get where you live.

As a side note, I have a BA-115 I use as a practice amp but it's not mine. The tweeter hisses at any volume/eq setting and when you push the amp the tweeter breaks up.

11. Get a pedal with a headphone out. (ie. EBS MicroBass II Preamp) That way, when you do get an amp, you won't have another sitting around (because it's always more tempting to use the bigger, better amp), and a pedal to boot, too.

12. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Get a DI box and a pair of converters: XLR to 1/4" TRS, and 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS. Run the whole business into the microphone input on your computer's soundcard. Bam, no extra power used. Not a whole lot of tonal control, but it'll be clear as a bell and great for practicing.

13. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    +1 on Nick Kay's recommendation if the power situation is as bad as you say it is.

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Why not the little Peavey bass practice amp. I think the "micro bass".
    $100 and great tone at low volume

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You probably have plenty of power without the heater. Those things will really use up most of the capacity of a 15A breaker.

17. jellywerker

jellywerker

Mar 6, 2008
    Seattle
    Well, I think I'll actually go with the Nemesis N8, but it'll depend on what I find at local pawn shops.

18. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA