Low Price, Short Scale Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I need to buy a low-priced bass a gift. The recipient is a petite female, so I think a short scale bass is in order.

It appears that my two choices are a Squier Bronco for about $150 or an SX from Rondo for $110. I am familiar with Squier, so I have an idea of what I will be getting in terms of quality. But I have heard good things about the full-scale SX basses.

So, here are my questions:

1. Am I missing any alternatives? I'd like to keep the cost at $200 or below.

2. Is the Squier worth $40 more than the SX? Or is the SX a better bass regardless of price?

3. I know the Squier Bronco uses a Strat-type guitar pickup. Is the pickup on the SX a regular size P-bass pickup? If I found the pickup lacking, could I install a Fender P-bass pickup in its place?

I live within a 90 minute drive of Rondo, so going there to look at the SX is a possibility.

Thanks for any help,

2. joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    Essex, period. You don't even need to bother going to the shop. Gas might cost you more than shipping these days anyway.
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SX. From what I've heard about the neck on the short scale SX's, you'll beat a standard Fender with that. 0.o
  5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I was looking for a bass for my young daughter, we tried a Squire Bronco. It felt like a piece of crap. We ended up buying a short-scale SX Jazz and are very happy with it. IMNSHO, it is a much higher-quality instrument than the Bronco.

And, yes, you can replace the SX pickup with a Fender-style pickup. We have not done so on my daughter's bass, but have done so on my SX basses. And a better pickup makes a HUGE difference in those basses.
  6. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks for the responses. My instinct was to give the SX a try and I think that's what I am going to do.

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I sold my USA made P bass and my MIJ Jazz 62 RI after I got my SX Shortscale Jazz Bass.They are Fantastic.
  8. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, the broncos feel real crappy. Go SX

For those short scale SX users how is the tone?

Anyone own one of those short scale Brice ASB-1 short scales?
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am wondering about the tone of these shortscales as well.

Are they able to thump or are they midrangey/trebley with the smaller body & neck?

I assume you can use regular strings on these. Can I use my favourite Ti flats. Those strings have pretty low tension so I wonder if they would do alright on a shortscale.

10. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I bought my son a bronco before the Essex's were available. Construction wise it's pretty good, but the electronics were total crap.

I had to mod it out big time, I installed a new neck pickup, eliminating the gee-tar pup, and added a J pickup in the bridge pickup. I also built a new pickguard for it, and put on a chrome control plate.

Oh yea, I had to get rid of the bridge, it was a watse of metal too.

After all that it playes great, but go for the essex.
  11. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here's a picture of the hot rod bronco if you are interested.

12. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    I have the SX jazz nice tone
    just a slight mid ranged boost (similiar to Mustangs)
    have not replaced the pickups yet
    rosewood fretboard is good, action a hair high
    but great for the price

the bronco I played felt like a toy in comparison

SX only has the p bass right now
    but will have j short scales again in the fall
  13. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    The Team International site doesn't have the jazz bass listed anymore, but they do have a rosewood version of the p-bass. It looks pretty good in vintage white. They've also got an ash/maple p/j that looks great.

Glenn D.
  14. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Do you have a link please?
  15. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
  16. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I steered one of my (female) students to the SX short-scale P bass. It's a pretty nice instrument, and SO CUTE. It's not just short scale - everything is smaller on it. Now if she'll just practice! Sigh...